Possible OC failure

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I was just doing some mild overclocking on my system:

MSI K7N
AthlonXP 2600 Tbred 333mhz FSB
Generic PC3200 ram

I had been running it at 333 locked.

I was playing around this evening and bumped the RAM up to 400 FSB, but unfortunately, I think I forgot to ulock the 1:1 ratio when I saved.

Now The machine is dead. The HDD LED stays on when it tries to boot, no bios, no video signal, no system beep.

So what do we think blew? Could the CPU really have gone that quick with the FSB bumped up to 400 for just the second from the BIOS save to reboot?

I shorted the CMOS battery, and that didn't help, right now I have the battery sitting out of the mobo.

I'm looking for suggestions.

CPU's don't die from overclocking unless you run them hot for too long. I smell fried chipset. Or maybe the GPU if the AGP slot got overclcoked too. Pull the video card out and try a boot.

If no luck do the usual. Strip it down to minimum and try bringing it up a step at a time.

Gonna go try it now. I doubt it was heat. Was running at 38 idle before. The battery has been out for about 2 hours now, so I will try it.

well... Pulled the gfx card and replace the battery, still no dice. Also, the chipset is Nforce and supposed to support a 400 FSB.

Just a quick update:

It appears that the ACPI function of the board is still working. But that's about as far as I can get.

Did you unplug the power supply when trying to clear the CMOS?

Unplug power, take out battery and put jumper in the clear CMOS position for about 10 minutes or longer.

Another update: I left the battery out, the PSU unplugged and the cmos jumper on short and went out for a bit. When I came home i plugged it in, put the battery in, and put the jumper back. I got a series of beeps (long). Which I believe should indicate that there was no ram in the system (there wasn't). I grabbed some ram and threw it in and now it's back to doing nothing, no beep, nothing.

I checked the ram in my roomates box and it's good.

In the meantime, I did buy a new Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe should this board go belly up.

The MSI board is unplugged, battery out, and shorted. Gonna give it another shot.

This sort of thing happend to me. I tried to change my multi. on my CPU and after I restarted my screen would just stay black. So I took the cpu out and rebooted, and it told me a new CPU was detected and it loaded defualts. So Try taking the cpu out, and then putting it pack in after a dew seconds

Guess it's time for another update:

Got everything loaded with the new ASUS board. And so far I'm stable without a windows reinstall. Did reinstall all nforce drivers though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back