Possible Notebook Purchase

About the format and reinstall. Buddy of mine just bought a Dell for his son and spent 20 minutes bitching about the junkware he's having to remove to wset it up for compatibility with his college classware....

What happens to warantee coverage and support if you wipe the Dell software and put a clean XP on?

What brand XP will the Dell key work with? OEM, Retail, student? all of the above?

Admiral - those 6 cell batteries do not have much operating time compared to the 9 cell.

PS Techno. Toshiba has no XP units left anywhere. I have been looking at them. They are dropping the prices way down on their low end models because they crawl with the installed VISTA Home.

Dell ships with OEM. The warranty is still active even if you reinstall Windows. Furthermore, Dell has switched its policy and always ships new systems with an installation disc. They no longer build systems with Norton imaging software (unless ordered).

Dell ships with OEM. The warranty is still active even if you reinstall Windows. Furthermore, Dell has switched its policy and always ships new systems with an installation disc. They no longer build systems with Norton imaging software (unless ordered).

That's good to know. I was also thinking of getting the bluetooth module off of Ebay and installing it myself. From the instructions on the Dell site it doesn't look hard at all, there's a little door on the battery compartment to gain access to it. I will have to wait and see when I get the laptop first tho.

I decided on the 6cell because I hardly use the battery, I ALWAYS prefer to use AC. So it's not a problem.

Apparently I got new old stock then, because I just ordered 3 Precision M65s at work and none of them had the media...hmm.

Maybe it's different through the division I operate out of then.

One thing I hate about online purchases: waiting...

Attachments

• status.JPG
    status.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 159
One thing you'll love, it will be individually built, tested and validated and then shipped to you directly, instead of something that is just sitting on a shelf.

Yep that's why I chose to do it this way. Besides all the ones at the store have Vista (eww!).

It's hard to sell a new computer when it's so slow due to the crap they install on em. I do a bit of sales at Costco in case your wondering.

So anyways, I may look into a new laptop bag. Any suggestions?

I like notebook bags from Mobile Edge (also available from Dell).

depending on what kind of bag you're looking for, I've enjoyed my bumbakpak

Those look nice too. *adds to favorites*

pressrelease_11121_1153778464.jpg

That's what I use to carry my notebook around.

Well my notebook has been shipped now I wait, anxiously.

Thanks for the suggestions on both the notebook and notebook bags. I';m still deciding whether to get a new bag at all. I am liking the mobileedge ones and the one Ferral_Imp has. Altho I don't need one for a 17inch notebook.

Edit: I currently have this bag: http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Notebook_and_CD_Cases/notebook_cases/EX_1200.aspx

It was given to me from my aunt and uncle for all the computer work I do :) I think I may stick with it for now, I need to pay back my credit card now so I gotta cut down on expenses.

Last edited:
IT HAS ARRIVED. I am typing this on my new laptop.

I spent all day partitioning, formatting, installing and copying stuff over from my old laptop. I did loose the MediaDirect partition but that was on purpose. I wanted the use of the whole drive.

So far I am loving it. I just have to get use to a few things, like key placement (left CTRL key is a little bigger so the wi ndows key is off a little), optiocal drive in on the left instead of the right, no shortcut buttons but I am using the Quicklaunch bar to sort of fix that, and the resolution (going from 1024x768 4:3 to 1440x900 16:9 is a switch.

I love my new laptop, I'm glad I went with Dell. Now I need to buy the bluetooth module. It unfortunately wasn't an option on the XP version for some reason. Aw well, a friend got the same laptop as me a whike back and he added the BT module with no problem. So I will do the same.

Thanks all for the suggestions and such,
Mike

PS. I think I need a new bag after all, my laptop doesn't fit in my old bag, it's a little too snig for my likings.

Congratulations. I hope all goes well with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back