possible new rig

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
ok bout to build athlon 64 system in the next few weeks waiting around til prices of 939 come around and to see if any 754 stuff price drops. want to know peoples input for this stuff. Going to use the 120GB HDD, GF4 4200, and samsung combo48x cdr and 16xdvdromread out of old system til the new cards come out in full force and can save the money to get a new vid card...give all suggestions for everything...

AHANIX Black Mid-tower ATX Case, Model "X195 Black Knight" -RETAIL $58.00
ABIT "KV8" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon64 CPU (thinking msi neo) $102.00
Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W $39.00
AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache 173.00
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - OEM 187.00
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM 91.00
KINGWIN 80mm CPU Fan for Athlon64 14.99

Me slightly jealous.... don't forget to figure in a CD for your windoze install :p - as if you would forget :rolleyes:

oh forgot to say I had one of those...edit post above

I know it's not perfect please some people give me some suggestions

Why not take WinXP Pro? It's not that much expensive (maybe you can even get a discount)

Could I commend to you the Albatron K8X800 Pro II mobo?

It may not look pretty, but it has it where it counts and comes with a VIA Envy 24PT on board sound chipset, plenty of onboard USB and firewire, and seems to run a bit faster than other boards.

cool I'll check both suggestions out

ok I want to add some fun to this thread since I'm very confused on what my money is worth and which processor to choose...

this is how I want it to go...I'm giving everyone an imaginary 500 dollars I would like you to tell me if you had that what processor, motherboard and memory would you go with and why

also this is for all processors...Athlon XP and which pr+, intel and what speed and athlon 64 and which pr+

I would probably blow the lot on a zalman case with passive cooling.... because my noisy tower is bugging me lately! But I know that's not what you meant,,,, trouble is being in the UK hard to work it out in dollars and we pay more for slightly older stuff here too..... stand by my recommended mobo though...

Looks like a really nice list, I've got no experience with Atholon 64 setups, but maybe a faster set of rams? (Corsair XMS series). Also, you could opt for a better heatsink, or maybe go for a better case (mainframeguy's right, the Zalman case is very nice).

well here is the updated system I can do...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 223.00
2x Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 2.5cas 170.00
Albatron "K8X800 ProII" K8T800 Chipset 116.00
DYNAPOWER Metis Series ATX Case 25.00
Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W 39.00
NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model ND-2500A 74.99
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM 91.00
all of this for a total of 738.99 before shipping for the case and psu at newegg.com
which will only add on like another 20 dollars

I read some reviews of the ahanix case and felt it was a little flimsy and then went on to find the dynapower case which is cheap and suitable for my needsand is one of the topselling cases at newegg...

I did some tweaking adn things and was able to up it to a 3000+ and still get 1gig ram and the albaton mobo as well...give me your opinions on this new setup

Ok, I'd hold off on the DVDRW for now and wait till the Dual Layer drives come out. No sense in spending that money and getting something that you'll want to replace in a few months. I know I know that happens most of the time anyways, but with a system like that, you're basically planning ahead. I'd put the money into something else. Maybe a different case. Or maybe you could up the processor again with the extra $75. You could probably get away with getting a 4x DVDRW drive. They write a DVD in about 15 minutes which isn't too shabby.

You could always do the Windows 64bit edition which MS had as a free download not long ago. They may still have it.

That would save you another $91.

Just some thoughts.

I like the idea of dropping the dvdrw and upping the processor to the a64 3200+ cause it has the 1mb cache...hmm...that is a brilliant idea Shepscrook

edit....they still have the free download for the 64 bit windows...and it's valid for 360 days! another great idea shepscrook...more rep points for you

its a decent system :)

I am almost all setup... there are a couple of 64bit processor threads around... I will try and consolidate everything once I get internet @ my new place...

there is a new athlon coming out... the 2600+ afaik...

depending on the apps you are using... the cache is not going to make a significant difference... the real-world difference's everyone touts is generally a total of an fps here and there or a coupla seconds here and there... don't read too much into it :)

weigh all your options before deciding what you want and don't want to do and whether you feel exchanging one thing for another is a better deal...

/me will type more later... dun get internet @ my place till thursday :(

Oh, and Dual Layer drives are out now. Best Buy has the Sony DRU-7000 (I think that's the model, flyer isn't in front of me) in it's flyer this weekend.

ok well I went with

AMD 64 3000+
Albaton Pro II mobo
1 gig corsair ram 2.5 cas
I went ahead and got the nec dvdrw cause I needed a new drive and the price dif between this and the cdrw combo was too close and new dvdr dl was too high
Foxconn CASEDGE 3G Model "3GTA-210-B has 300w psu but changing it for
420 Thermaltake psu
case comes with 1 80mm fan but bought another 120mm fan as well
all this for 692 dollars (US)
I wasn't looking for top of the line but lower high end or upper mid end stuff however you want to put it.

going to use gf4200 til x800 pro drops in price and 120 GB 7200RPM hdd from old system

Looks like a pretty nice setup. Is the processor a newcastle or clawhammer?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back