Possible hacking atempt?

Fenris

OSNN Senior Addict
I am getting strange activity on my network even when im just idle from random ips. I checked the incoming Log and it shows a large ammount of ips trying to conect to me on port number 4672 and 4662. It just keeps happening over and over again. I havent noticed any changed data or spywear/trojans on my computer so i dont think anyone has hacked in but i just dont see why i would get so much traffic coming in on those ports when my computer is idle.

I restarted my DSL and there is no more activity on those ports. Im not really sure whats up so any information would be helpfull.

try and close both of those ports, this sounds like an automated computer attack to me.

Yeah, 4672 and 4662 are the default ports for emule/edonkey. I don't think it's an attack on your system. Not sure about emule, but it's probably edonkey users scan the network for available clients...

:eek: :eek: no its an attack we're all gonna die arrgghhhhh :eek: :eek:

hehe alright...ill just close the ports hopefully that will stop it

lancer said:
:eek: :eek: no its an attack we're all gonna die arrgghhhhh :eek: :eek:
Nope that's not till 2006, so don't worry for now.

As for the connection attempts just stealth the ports, log the ip's do a trace and make a complaint to their isp.

Mainframeguy said:
You think they will want to know?!! :rolleyes:
I agree. Also if your not using the ports they shouldn't be open in the 1st place. ;) This kind of activity happens alot really. Could be people just doing random scans trying to find someone with an open port (in this case people on p2p) that they can "explore". :) This and all those nice admins that use default user/passwords probably make up 99% of the 0-day ftp/xdcc/ect you "see" around. Moral of the story ... close your ports unless you have a reason for them to be open. :p </sleepyrant>

you can also have the programs on your computer trigger ports when they need access...I have no idea how to do it with my router(wish I did!) but it's worth a shot if you need to have some ports open

Time to use Zone Alarm or similar and change from IE6 to a different browser

Tweakfiend said:
Time to use Zone Alarm or similar and change from IE6 to a different browser
What does IE have to do with those particular ports being open? :rolleyes:

Im trying to set up port forwarding for ports that I need but im not sure how well its doing....I think i have it set up right, but for programs like MIRC that use the ports First 1024 last 5000 does that mean i would have to have all the ports inbetween there to use DCC? Will i have to open a port for every game i play or is it just if i want to host a game?

Was hoping to read the manuall but i cant seem to download the PDF anyway i have a Linksys BEFSR41 V3

Fenris said:
Im trying to set up port forwarding for ports that I need but im not sure how well its doing....I think i have it set up right, but for programs like MIRC that use the ports First 1024 last 5000 does that mean i would have to have all the ports inbetween there to use DCC? Will i have to open a port for every game i play or is it just if i want to host a game?

Was hoping to read the manuall but i cant seem to download the PDF anyway i have a Linksys BEFSR41 V3
I wouldn't open that many ports for mIRC. You only need 1 port per dcc transfer. I think 3-5 ports would be more then enough. So in mIRC you would set it to use for example 1024 - 1029 (tcp only) or whatever you choose. Then on your router you would set that same set of ports forwarded to the internal IP of the computer your running mIRC from. As for games you will have to read manual or forums for them and find out what ports they use and if you need any forwarded and set them just like you did for mIRC.

alright thanks Xie...i thought that was a large number of ports for only one download

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back