Possible Firefox convert. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petros

Thief IV
After a fairly well-documented resistance to all Netscape based browsers, I have chosen to step into the darkside. To those who were offended by anything derogatory I might have said about their favorite browser, I offer my most well-meant apologies. I was wrong, and I'm not afraid to admit that.

On to business! There were features in MyIE2/Maxthon that I want badly, and I need help getting them. I will use Firefox forever if someone can tell me how. I know there's a very active community out there for it, and with an open-source browser I'm sure the features I want are available.

? Super Drag Drop, the ability to click a link and hold, drag it an inch away. It opens in a new tab which I will get to once I'm done with the page on which I'm browsing.

? Setting up custom searches from the address bar. In MyIE2, I could set it up so if I typed "d cows" it would give me a dictionary definition for cows, "g cows" would give me a google search, "i cows" would give me a google image search and so on ad nauseam.

? Importing bookmarks from IE

? Auto refreshing pages, set to any interval I please.

? Where's my cookies? Can I just stay logged in to OSNN.net without having the password manager remember my password?

? Minimalist (tiny) skins, because I want to see a maximum amount of the page I'm browsing.

? FlashSave: The ability to show all flash files on an HTML and let me download them just like any other file (E.g. Homstarrunner.com cartoons).

? Links to good places for skins/plugins/etc.

? Disabling Anti-right-click scripts on a site.

? A way to murder people who use the aforementioned scripts, because they probably are jerks anyway and deserve nothing better than a greusome death.

I appreciate all your help; those are the only things that keep me from ditching MyIE2 entirely, and if you can do that, you've won me over along with a lot of other MyIE2 lovers. By the way, this post is being written over Firefox :D

Wellll......................I'm afraid that I can't defend Firefox from all those features. I was using both browsers for a while, but find myself using the new Max upgrade more often than I care to admit. If anyone can, go for it!

Good argument NetRyder, but what about the (way to Murder) part? :D

Netryder, thank you for all your information. You have been most helpful in all this. I have a couple more questions:

? My tabs are fat!!! I want to resize them.
? Searches! I want the default search to be Google. I also want multiple searches, like urbandictionary, dictionary, and GIS.

Pin that, homeboy!!

@Unwonted: I've moved all my responses to the pinned Firefox discussion thread, just so that they can be in one place for future reference. Please post any further questions you have in that thread.
Thanks.
smile.gif

simple. In maxthon check file > new page > use gecko engine.

voila firefox with all of myie2's features.

Actually, that would be Maxthon with the Gecko rendering engine. It's like running x86 Darwin and claiming to run Mac OS X. There's a lot more to Firefox than just the underlying rendering engine.
smile.gif

The conversion is lost. I did Secunia's little IE holes tests, and they all came up negative in MyIE2/Maxthon. Try it for yourself and see. The pundits of IE-based alternative browsers saying that the same flaws are evident in MyIE2/Maxthon are wrong. I installed all the Mozilla stuff, but it still didn't do everything like I wanted to.

The fact that I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to accomplish the same functions, plus my recent discovery that the alternative browsers are no less secure than Mozilla, leads me to my final conclusion: I'll give Firefox some more time to develop before I consider it as my primary browser.

Thank you very, very much for your help, NetRyder; your Firefox knowledge has helped me greatly. May your phallus grow like the mighty oaks.

if you want a browser that will do all of the features you mentioned, firefox will do it...

but if you want a browser that will do all of the features you mentioned and function exactly the way MyIE2 will, then use MyIE2...

I don't want something that will function like MyIE2, just one that will not make me jump through hoops to access wonderful features.

I'll just keep my opinions to myself. It's like trying to explain to a rabid evolutionist why I don't believe in Darwin's theory.

I am using (to type this message in) firefox 0.9.2.

Seems o.k., I can't stand netscape, I prefer IE. I only use other browsers to test pages.

In my order, IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera then Netscrape!

Originally posted by Unwonted
I'll just keep my opinions to myself. It's like trying to explain to a rabid evolutionist why I don't believe in Darwin's theory

Yeah, you do that Mr. dinasaurs aren't real, and Mr.fossil evidence really sucks, and Mr. Ignorance is bliss! Ooops..... *runs*

Or how about we don't get into this here and start a loverly "your an idiot thread"

Questions where asked, solutions given, choices made. End of

Unwonted said:
Thank you very, very much for your help, NetRyder; your Firefox knowledge has helped me greatly. May your phallus grow like the mighty oaks.
No problems, man.
If that last statement was meant to be a compliment...
blink.gif
... thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back