Possible Browser Hijack attempt

jw50

OSNN Senior Addict
I just checked for updates on Ad-Aware, downloaded the update and then ran a scan. It found 3 instances of the following:

"Vendor:possible Browser Hijack attempt
Category:Misc
Object Type:File
Size:150 Bytes
Location:C:\...\xxxxxxx\Favorites\Free AOL & Unlimited Internet.url
Last Activity:10-27-2004 4:00:00 AM
Risk Level:Low
TAC index:3
Comment:problematic URL discovered: http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index.adp?316941
Description:possible attempt to control/redirect the browser. This object referrs to a "blacklisted" site. If the site listed is the site intended (in other words, it is set to the setting you wish it to be set to), add this listing to your ignorelist. If not, then selecting this item will reset your browser to the default setting for this item."

I guess Ad-Aware doesn't like AOL either ;)

I thought about putting this in the Jokes and Humor section:)

aol is either trying to put some ads pop ups on your computer or it's trying to change setting of you IE like the homepage, i used to get possible hijack attempt when i changed my homepage to blank instead of msn.com you can fix that in the ad-aware settings

No offense jw50, but seriously you need to get rid of AOL. They are evil PC maggots that will try to hide anywhere on your PC if you give them half a chance. They are all about spyware and monitoring your surfing habits. Useless software that just bogs down your system, but hey, thats just me and allot of people obviously like AOL!

napalmnthemorning said:
No offense jw50, but seriously you need to get rid of AOL. They are evil PC maggots that will try to hide anywhere on your PC if you give them half a chance. They are all about spyware and monitoring your surfing habits. Useless software that just bogs down your system, but hey, thats just me and allot of people obviously like AOL!

Napalm, I dont think you quite understand what my post was about. I have never had AOL on any of my computers. I have been on cable for over 6 years now, why would I want to screw that up with AOL? What I have had tho are those stupid Try AOL icons and links that are installed by other programs that you just delete whenever you see them. Obviously just deleting the icons and links doesn't totally get rid of them since ad-aware seemed to find a few of them still lurking around even tho they didn't show on my desktop or in any of the browsers.

napalmnthemorning said:
No offense jw50, but seriously you need to get rid of AOL. They are evil PC maggots that will try to hide anywhere on your PC if you give them half a chance....

I second that

My computer has the AOL Browser hijacker. My computer recently got infected with tons of spyware (came through the IE security holes I think). It got through my McAfee virus Suite 7 (which is junk, I'm switching to Symantec). I also had spybot installed. It is all clean now except for the AOL Hijacker and Neededware. The AOL redirects my URL to the try aol free page only when I try to open an AOL site and only in IE. I used Ad-Aware, but it won't tell me where this Spyware is hiding so I can delete it. Which AdAware version did you use? Did it get rid of it for you? Try searching for AOL.com and see what happens.

Thanks.

jw50 said:
Napalm, I dont think you quite understand what my post was about. I have never had AOL on any of my computers. I have been on cable for over 6 years now, why would I want to screw that up with AOL? What I have had tho are those stupid Try AOL icons and links that are installed by other programs that you just delete whenever you see them. Obviously just deleting the icons and links doesn't totally get rid of them since ad-aware seemed to find a few of them still lurking around even tho they didn't show on my desktop or in any of the browsers.

Check your registry as well Start>Run>"regedit" right click and search/find "AOL". They also like to hang out in your system32 folder and your cleaners and spyware cleaners won't always delete your leftovers in your "windows explorer" folder. Good luck j250.

I would use AVG free for your anit-virus, its free and very light on resources

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back