Portfolio website

well SOMEONE's insulted him - hey - blame me, I have broad shoulders!

It's an interesting concept, but like a coupe others, I was confused when I first saw it. I think making the red menu links underlined would really help!

/me waits to see where the site goes...

OK - I'm gping to take your "concept" or "gimmick" as a given...

THEN it follows that I can see ONE great big change you REALLY need to make!

Take that header with disclaimer and make it into an /INCLUDE or macro - will sure as hell make the whole shebang easier on the eye.

I will take that into consideration, however the header that is there is there for a reason, it is on most of my software, and it is the header I live and breath by. I fully believe human knowledge belongs to the world (quote from a great movie ...), and that open source is the way to do it.

For a more advanced twist on your take you might want to consider a couple of ideas that spring to my mind...

Layer on top or underneath a content manager (would show some real ability!)

Thought about it, would make it more complicated, not entirely sure if I want to do that. I really like the simplicity of the site as it currently stands.

An even showier thing - if you have time and inclination - would be to make a branch (maybe using above CMS) where registered visitors can involve their own plug-ins or modules... would require API.

It is not supposed to be the next Facebook/Myspace!

HMMMMMMMmmm maybe I am taking it and running too far though?

Yes

Hope this is of some use - particularly the first thing which surely makes sense (copyright you may need in key areas - I know a bit about this after Ca. 30 years software development)

The copyright is a bit if a gimmick. But it felt kind of lonely without it, in my eyes the website required the license/copyright notice to add a little bit more to it.

/me waits for comment on his reply....

and hey - one more thing - why don't you mention this/linkie it in your blog?

Hehe, it is on my blog. The links in the top left corner are linked to that website. I have not yet blogged about it, since it is not done yet, and I would rather wait a bit longer. I wanted more directed feedback, rather than the people that read my blog. That, and many recruiters read my blog (Which is both good and bad I guess), and I would like to wait for yet another inbox bombarding with job offers (I get about 2 - 3 a week these days. All of them require me to re-locate and I can't do that as a student).

Probably because he just created it

Yup :D.

In 10 minutes.

Eh, took me a bit longer than that. I had some other ideas floating around first. The concept came to me while I was in my fantasy literature class. Once i had the initial code written (the C++) I had to check that it compiled and worked, as expected, and then had to convert it to HTML and add the syntax highlighting. I am not a big fan of HTML, and as such that took me the longest. Adding in all the span tags around the appropriate sections.

So 10 minutes is a bit short, in total it probably took me about an hour to an hour and a half.

Thats a bit harsh

That was a compliment to his ability, not a rib. Obviously I liked the idea judging by my earlier posts.

oh right, so I've essentially insulted it by implying 10 minutes was harsh, bugger

Stop fighting you two. I was not insulted! Eh, kinda happy that my skills are rated so high as to be able to accomplish all of that in 10 minutes ... :p

well SOMEONE's insulted him - hey - blame me, I have broad shoulders!

You definitely did not insult me!

It's an interesting concept, but like a coupe others, I was confused when I first saw it. I think making the red menu links underlined would really help!

/me waits to see where the site goes...

Yeah, that is the feedback I have been getting. My portfolio advisor absolutely fell in love with it at first sight, so I have won at that! :p We also have a career advisor who helps with resumes and whatnot, and he took a look at my site and said it was a very unique concept and the idea alone would get me points with recruiters and technical people. He really liked it as well!

I might go with an underline, I will have to play with it some more to see whether I like that or not.

Once i had the initial code written (the C++) I had to check that it compiled and worked, as expected, and then had to convert it to HTML and add the syntax highlighting. I am not a big fan of HTML, and as such that took me the longest. Adding in all the span tags around the appropriate sections.

I thought you'd done something like created a custom TextMate theme and then just had it convert the document to HTML to get all the spans done for you.

Ah, you want the background to become red, and the text white? Or just a black background and red text?

I was not concerned about the choice of colour scheme - you choose - it's just a personal preference, another idea for you to play with, I just thought it more intuitive to pick up on what it is about....

So, I have been working on it some more, adding more pages to it and whatnot:

http://bertjwregeer.com/About_me.html

Is one of the new pages I have created. That one was syntax highlighted using the sed script I posted in this forum. Also, notice that the #include that I have written (the one in " and ", not in < and >) is now also a link. So you can download all of the source code required for that file, and assuming you have the standard C++ library you can compile the source code and run it.

Figured that was kinda cool :p. Wanted to just post a quick update.

Still digging it. Awesome idea. Very original.

I like it, but only coders will get it. Anyone looking to hire you, their eyes will cross and they'll say your site is messed up! :laugh:

I am not to worried about it. The industry I have been looking to go into seems to have smart recruiters that get it. For example, I received a job offer from a Fortune 500 company because they stumbled across my blog/resume and then googled my name for more information, in their email to me they cited that it was my http://bertjwregeer.com/ website that made them make the offer.

I am not to worried about it. The industry I have been looking to go into seems to have smart recruiters that get it. For example, I received a job offer from a Fortune 500 company because they stumbled across my blog/resume and then googled my name for more information, in their email to me they cited that it was my http://bertjwregeer.com/ website that made them make the offer.

Well in that case... leave it as it is :p

I like it.

I like the idea, and always like a site which loads fast.

Okay, so I have updated many of the pages involved. Actually, just the code behind it, the rest was magic that worked itself out :p That being said, I would appreciate it if you guys could give it a helpful look over and let me know if there is anything obviously wrong:

http://bertjwregeer.com/

Also, this may not seem obvious immediately and that is for good reason, however any #include " " statement is also a link to the file that it is including, so that any custom headers/code I have written is available for viewing as well. The entire website as it currently stands compiles as standard C++ using GCC.

The following pages still have to be created:

Resume page
LEDWall Project
Near Space Project
ThisWebsite Project

What I care more about is do you think this: http://bertjwregeer.com/Project/ChristmasTree.html is readable, are you able to get what the project was about? Too much text? Too little explanation? Diagrams and pictures are coming, I just need to find a way to put them on the web page without making it take away from the fact that this is supposed to be strictly code, and that in code there is no way to put images, as it is all text based.

Very nice, though the third paragraph() of ChristmasTree reads a little oddly.

Contact page: "Google chat" > "Google Chat"

Still reading...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back