Portfolio website

X-Istence

Political Access
Hey guys,

For me to graduate I need to create a website that contains information about me, projects I have completed, and a resume. I have been playing around with some ideas, and instead of going with the really complicated ones that I have come up with, I have come up with something I think is extremely awesome, shows off the fact that I am a Software Engineer as a major, and at the same time is simple enough that my lack of web design skills is not shown.

Take a look and let me know what you think:

http://bertjwregeer.com/

Please note that the links do not yet work ... (they contain filler content), but that is where I am attempting to go with the website.

Please let me know if the website is easy to follow, once you figure out how it works/what it is supposed to be, do the "red" links make sense? Does it come over as something that is both professional and at the same time a bit of a "toy"?

Cheers!

unless im being dense, are we supposed to see a site or its code, as that's all i see

You are being dense. Try using a link.

I like the idea, but some people might not get it(Mr. Dense). Try adding just a hair more organization, or cleaning it up a small amount

I'm with you Carpo! I didn't get it, and a vast majority of other people wont either!

The assumption I got was you hadn't coded the site properly and this is why we see the code. "bit of a toy"? Just didn't make sense sorry.

Geezer

What a killer idea! How clever. Have a cookie.

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge for your code, but consistency is key with me. In one spot you have "About me" and in another you have "Aboutme".

unless im being dense, are we supposed to see a site or its code, as that's all i see

That's not HTML ...

I'm with you Carpo! I didn't get it, and a vast majority of other people wont either!

The assumption I got was you hadn't coded the site properly and this is why we see the code. "bit of a toy"? Just didn't make sense sorry.

Geezer

Why would the code be syntax highlighted?

What a killer idea! How clever. Have a cookie.

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge for your code, but consistency is key with me. In one spot you have "About me" and in another you have "Aboutme".

That has to do with the code, execl() takes a path to the next executable, I may break the code actually being working code and change that, I am not entirely sure yet. (As of right now that code compiles and works on Mac OS X and FreeBSD, have not yet tested it on Linux or other Unix systems)

LMAO

Love is JW, it's unique and stands out from anything else out there

Thank you!

You trying to get a job as a c++ developer?

Trying to get a job as a software engineer/embedded systems developer. So yes and no. I just thought of something that would be easily remembered by people visiting the site. Kinda like:

"Who had that code as his site again? " type deal.

You are being dense. Try using a link.

I like the idea, but some people might not get it(Mr. Dense). Try adding just a hair more organization, or cleaning it up a small amount

Ummm, I see only code. So as for the dense question... I'll get back to you on that. And all links point to CODE. Pages and pages of CODE. Hmmm, how quaint.

So X-Istence, if you are going for unique, boom, you da man. :p

Gonaads: Only the main page is complete for now, I still have to create more content for the other pages. Yes I am going for unique!

OK - I'm gping to take your "concept" or "gimmick" as a given...

THEN it follows that I can see ONE great big change you REALLY need to make!

Take that header with disclaimer and make it into an /INCLUDE or macro - will sure as hell make the whole shebang easier on the eye.

For a more advanced twist on your take you might want to consider a couple of ideas that spring to my mind...

Layer on top or underneath a content manager (would show some real ability!)

An even showier thing - if you have time and inclination - would be to make a branch (maybe using above CMS) where registered visitors can involve their own plug-ins or modules... would require API.

HMMMMMMMmmm maybe I am taking it and running too far though?

Hope this is of some use - particularly the first thing which surely makes sense (copyright you may need in key areas - I know a bit about this after Ca. 30 years software development)

Why would the code be syntax highlighted

Well as rare as it is these days .phps would be an example where you'd view a web page and it would be highlighted. Admittedly its not .cpps :p

For the sake of consistency you could use "About_me" or "AboutMe" for the name, it might make greater sense to some.

Personally I got the red = links thing pretty quick, you're guided to that as the first line of the comment has a "comment" colour and then this dissimilar colour. It may help to underline links though to help them further stand out.

Site is classic. Was only confused for a sec (until I actually read it). As long as it's someone from your major reviewing the sites I think your fine. :)

/me waits for comment on his reply....

and hey - one more thing - why don't you mention this/linkie it in your blog?

That was a compliment to his ability, not a rib. Obviously I liked the idea judging by my earlier posts.

oh right, so I've essentially insulted it by implying 10 minutes was harsh, bugger

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back