Portable HD Advice

tdinc

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I usually like doing my own investigations regarding hardware purchases. but I'm too lazy for this one. :)

I am looking for a external HD for data transfer from my laptop. I am just want a decent, reliable cheap option. with a 1394 connection. I was looking at the
Western Digital My Book Premium.

any ideas? Thanks in advance

Buy a hard drive buy a case, install harddrive in case now you have saved money. I always make my own and it usually saves me 15-20%.

I cant believe I didnt think about that. nice

thanks reps

I do that too. Just picked up a 500GB drive last week for the same purpose. :)
Newegg has a great selection of drive enclosures for both 2.5" and 3.5" SATA and ATA drives.

My preferred brand of external drives is LaCie, particularly their d2 drives. Reliable and well-built, with the added plus of having USB 2.0, FireWire 400/800, and eSATA connections.

My preferred brand of external drives is LaCie, particularly their d2 drives. Reliable and well-built, with the added plus of having USB 2.0, FireWire 400/800, and eSATA connections.
Ditto, I have 2. :)

I do that too. Just picked up a 500GB drive last week for the same purpose. :)
Newegg has a great selection of drive enclosures for both 2.5" and 3.5" SATA and ATA drives.
I have four or five hardrives from old laptops, is there a case that will house more then one?

Might be a bit much for what you need perris, but they're certainly available :)

http://www.addonics.com/products/raid_system/mst4.asp

Sadly, you'll need a JBOD adapter to get all 4 drives seen independently.
Probably a lot cheaper to simply buy 4 stacking individual housings, and chuck 'em through a hub.

Last edited:
Stay away from WD My Book Premium's if you run Vista. I've read about and had problems with mine. My WD Passport drive works perfectly though.

I bought a Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosure and a 400GB drive and saved almost $100 over buying a prebuilt enclosure.

Stay away from WD My Book Premium's if you run Vista. I've read about and had problems with mine. My WD Passport drive works perfectly though.

I have a Western Digital My Book - one terrabyte, and run it with Vista on both my laptop and desktop; I never had a problem with it. In fact, it runs great. I love it so much that I am thinking about buying another one.

My premium runs fine under Vista (when using USB). It's a bit flakey with esata but I think that's due to the cable barely fitting in.

I didn't mean to lie. Maybe it was mine, but it's already gone. However, I know I'm not alone.

Whoever recommended that Passport sure was a smart cookie ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back