• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Portable HD Advice

tdinc

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
I usually like doing my own investigations regarding hardware purchases. but I'm too lazy for this one. :)

I am looking for a external HD for data transfer from my laptop. I am just want a decent, reliable cheap option. with a 1394 connection. I was looking at the
Western Digital My Book Premium.

any ideas? Thanks in advance

drz01

Weekend DJ
Buy a hard drive buy a case, install harddrive in case now you have saved money. I always make my own and it usually saves me 15-20%.

I do that too. Just picked up a 500GB drive last week for the same purpose. :)
Newegg has a great selection of drive enclosures for both 2.5" and 3.5" SATA and ATA drives.

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political User
My preferred brand of external drives is LaCie, particularly their d2 drives. Reliable and well-built, with the added plus of having USB 2.0, FireWire 400/800, and eSATA connections.

Perris Calderon

Staff member
Political User
I do that too. Just picked up a 500GB drive last week for the same purpose. :)
Newegg has a great selection of drive enclosures for both 2.5" and 3.5" SATA and ATA drives.
I have four or five hardrives from old laptops, is there a case that will house more then one?

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Stay away from WD My Book Premium's if you run Vista. I've read about and had problems with mine. My WD Passport drive works perfectly though.

Aprox

Political User
I bought a Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosure and a 400GB drive and saved almost $100 over buying a prebuilt enclosure.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
Stay away from WD My Book Premium's if you run Vista. I've read about and had problems with mine. My WD Passport drive works perfectly though.
I have a Western Digital My Book - one terrabyte, and run it with Vista on both my laptop and desktop; I never had a problem with it. In fact, it runs great. I love it so much that I am thinking about buying another one.

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
My premium runs fine under Vista (when using USB). It's a bit flakey with esata but I think that's due to the cable barely fitting in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies