Portable Hard Drive Issue...

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
I have a LaCie rugged drive that's USB-powered. On my computer, though, I plug it in, and more often than not, it will be up for a minute, make this tiny pop noise, then disconnect and power back up.

At work, when I use this drive, it is up for hours at a time with no problems.

I'm inclined to think it's my computer, but what could be causing this? I also have to remember to unmount and disconnect before turning off my computer, because if I turn it off altogether, it will spin up, try to turn off, but not and then try to spin back up and turn off repeatedly until I disconnect it.

falconguard

Carbon based lifeform
Political Access
Seems like a the power to the usb drive is going wonky. Does it do that on all the USB ports on your computer? Maybe a rail on your PSU?

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
Sorry for not following up sooner. I've been very busy.

I've made an observation that it is solely limited to the "extra" USB ports that connect from my ASUS motherboard to a card slot panel. The "normal" USB ports are fine.

What would this perhaps signify?

falconguard

Carbon based lifeform
Political Access
A connector on the card panel is coming loose. Not to bad, if you are handy with a soldering gun, but it might be cheaper all around to just replace the card panel.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Builder/Installer
The wiring or the connection to the motherboard could be at fault also.

I agree with falconguard that it would be wiser to just replace the entire card slot panel. If the problem persists after that then there's either a flaw in how they designed the motherboard, or your particular motherboard has an issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nodee