Port fowarding?

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
I understand how to port foward and i use the how to from portforward.com but it still is sucking. I have verizon dsl, so i have my westel 6100 and then connected to that i have my linksys wireless BEFW11Ss4-VN. For some weird reason i cannot upload using a torrent program...im not connectable (A lot of indie bands use torrents to spread music). Does anyone have any experiance in this field that could help me???

Re: Port fowarding?????

make sure you're not using DHCP.

Then make sure you are forwading to the right IP address for your PC.

alternatively get a bunch of static IP's from your provider, makes life much easier :)

make sure you're not using DHCP.

Then make sure you are forwading to the right IP address for your PC.

alternatively get a bunch of static IP's from your provider, makes life much easier :)

how do i know im not usin dhcp?

to get my ip i go start>run>cmd>ipconfig/all and it will say ip address and thats mine

Also how do i get a bunch of static IP's from your provider???

Like i said i just go off of portfoward, so you help is great and yuor details and even better..thanks LordOfLA!!!

If you go to the tcp/ip properties for the network card, it will have an option to either "get ips automatically" or have a few boxes for you to type an IP address in. If you specify an IP its static. If you have the get IP automatically enabled its DHCP.

DHCP is only a problem when portforwarding, as the address of your PC may change so that the router is no longer sending traffic to the right place.

You'll want to set your PC to have the same address as the router thinks its forwarding to.

You'll need to call your ISP about static IPs and to get support setting it up if they offer them.

juust ask how to setup a static ip? thats it..they dont need to know why?? SO no matter how many times i play with my router..it wouldnt work unless i call??

You will be charged for static ip's I am pretty sure I dont think they give them away for free

You don't need to have a static IP from your ISP to use Torrents.

First off, it may be easier to modify settings on your DHCP server (router), so that the server itself passes out the same IP to the machine based on the MAC address. This way if you format that PC your settings will still be inherited. Rather extreme I admit, but I always prefer centralized management.

You can call your ISP and ask them how much it would cost for a static IP. Comcast for instance will give you one for an additional $10 per month.

It should be mentioned, however, I don't see an advantage for your setup if you were to purchase a static IP from your ISP. This would only benefit you for external traffic coming in, and something like that could be accomplished by a free alternative, such as www.no-ip.info

I just reconfig'd my route for torrents, if I can do it you can too :)

Last edited:
What you need is a good ol fashioned DSL MODEM and not a MODEM/ROUTER which is what you have. Also, try to see if you can put the router into bridge mode and have the Linksys handle the PPPoE authentication.

Also, try to see if you can put the router into bridge mode and have the Linksys handle the PPPoE authentication.

i have no idea how to do that...

Also lookin at not too $$$$ wireless dsl modems...what would be a good choice? 2wire or netgear?

Last edited:
This may help you out: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6323

Is this what your modem looks like? Because it's just a modem and not a router. But some modems now have built in firewalls and such. The FAQ posted above explains how to connect a linksys router to it.

image83359.gif

It may have a special firmware from your ISP or it has an older firmware (probably the latter).

cool but i have verizon, i dont have like a log in for my linksys....like the pic below....

image4063.gif

If your linksys does not to do the authentication, it either happens in your Westell or your connection is DHCP.

Some of the DSL types are more commonly using DHCP now.

all this is too confusing, whats a better wireless dsl modem, 2wire or netgear??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back