Port fowarding?

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User
I understand how to port foward and i use the how to from portforward.com but it still is sucking. I have verizon dsl, so i have my westel 6100 and then connected to that i have my linksys wireless BEFW11Ss4-VN. For some weird reason i cannot upload using a torrent program...im not connectable (A lot of indie bands use torrents to spread music). Does anyone have any experiance in this field that could help me???

Re: Port fowarding?????

make sure you're not using DHCP.

Then make sure you are forwading to the right IP address for your PC.

alternatively get a bunch of static IP's from your provider, makes life much easier :)

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User

make sure you're not using DHCP.

Then make sure you are forwading to the right IP address for your PC.

alternatively get a bunch of static IP's from your provider, makes life much easier :)
how do i know im not usin dhcp?

to get my ip i go start>run>cmd>ipconfig/all and it will say ip address and thats mine

Also how do i get a bunch of static IP's from your provider???

Like i said i just go off of portfoward, so you help is great and yuor details and even better..thanks LordOfLA!!!

If you go to the tcp/ip properties for the network card, it will have an option to either "get ips automatically" or have a few boxes for you to type an IP address in. If you specify an IP its static. If you have the get IP automatically enabled its DHCP.

DHCP is only a problem when portforwarding, as the address of your PC may change so that the router is no longer sending traffic to the right place.

You'll want to set your PC to have the same address as the router thinks its forwarding to.

You'll need to call your ISP about static IPs and to get support setting it up if they offer them.

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User

juust ask how to setup a static ip? thats it..they dont need to know why?? SO no matter how many times i play with my router..it wouldnt work unless i call??

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User

You will be charged for static ip's I am pretty sure I dont think they give them away for free

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
You don't need to have a static IP from your ISP to use Torrents.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
First off, it may be easier to modify settings on your DHCP server (router), so that the server itself passes out the same IP to the machine based on the MAC address. This way if you format that PC your settings will still be inherited. Rather extreme I admit, but I always prefer centralized management.

You can call your ISP and ask them how much it would cost for a static IP. Comcast for instance will give you one for an additional $10 per month.

It should be mentioned, however, I don't see an advantage for your setup if you were to purchase a static IP from your ISP. This would only benefit you for external traffic coming in, and something like that could be accomplished by a free alternative, such as www.no-ip.info

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User
Last edited:

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
What you need is a good ol fashioned DSL MODEM and not a MODEM/ROUTER which is what you have. Also, try to see if you can put the router into bridge mode and have the Linksys handle the PPPoE authentication.

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User
Also, try to see if you can put the router into bridge mode and have the Linksys handle the PPPoE authentication.
i have no idea how to do that...

Also lookin at not too $$$$ wireless dsl modems...what would be a good choice? 2wire or netgear?

Last edited:

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
If your linksys does not to do the authentication, it either happens in your Westell or your connection is DHCP.

Some of the DSL types are more commonly using DHCP now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelPowers