Port Forwarding Help

N

Not Bman

I need help with Port Forwarding.

It's the one area in Networking I have a hard time with. Every time I think I have figured it out, I haven't.

First question, if I have a DHCP Reservation, does my external IP still change?

Ignoring the first question. How do I forward ports if I have a DynDNS address for my IP.

For one example I need to forward 8080 for Usenet, so I can use an Android application on my phone. I am using Tomato on a WRT54GL router. I am looking for steps.

Which address do I use to forward to, which to use to connect too, etc etc.

I had it setup awhile ago, with DynDNS, but my external IP would still keep changing all the time, so it would work when I knew that address. Makes no sense.

If I have one thing forwarded and working, and want to do a second thing, do I use the same address?

I am hoping these make sense.

I need help with Port Forwarding.

It's the one area in Networking I have a hard time with. Every time I think I have figured it out, I haven't.

First question, if I have a DHCP Reservation, does my external IP still change?

No, DHCP reservations are for your internal IPs only. It just makes sure they always get the same 192.168.x.x address.

Ignoring the first question. How do I forward ports if I have a DynDNS address for my IP.

For one example I need to forward 8080 for Usenet, so I can use an Android application on my phone. I am using Tomato on a WRT54GL router. I am looking for steps.

Which address do I use to forward to, which to use to connect too, etc etc.

You forward it like you would any other port, to the internal IP address that runs the service you want external access to.

I had it setup awhile ago, with DynDNS, but my external IP would still keep changing all the time, so it would work when I knew that address. Makes no sense.

Then you didn't setup DynDNS properly. It's a dynamic IP service that requires one of two things: A)A computer running the IP updater software OR B)A router with that functionality built in.

Basically when your IP changes your router (or the update app) detects a change and tells DynDNS which changes the IP your domain points to.

I have been using DynDNS for years, I even pay for their pro service (lets me link a lot more domains to my account)

If I have one thing forwarded and working, and want to do a second thing, do I use the same address?

If it's on the same computer you use the same IP address.

I am hoping these make sense.

Don't worry you are, it can be a little overwhelming at first.

This site may help: Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com It can give you step by step directions that are specific to your router.

I have used that website many times, not much help for me it seems. I guess this one area is just off for me lol

OK, so if I have a DynDNS address, what do I forward my ports too. The DynDNS address might be the same but the internal IP actually changes, same with the external IP right.

See here, it needs an address. Do I put the DynDNS address, I know some router firmware does not allow for any address, it needs a 192.168 address.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9868436/CloudShot/shot_1142012_103053_pm.png

And how do I configure DynDNS, all I see if paid services.

If 192.168.1.2 is the computer with Usenet then it looks like you have it done correctly.

If you setup a DHCP reservation in your router it will make sure that PC always receives 192.168.1.2, it's like static DHCP; a static IP without having to configure the PC.

If you want to use DynDNS you don't need to do anything for port forwarding. The domain you get from them (like michaelsoft.gotdns.com in my case) is just a placeholder for your IP.

DynDNS changed their site, even the free services have to go through a "checkout" routine.

Yes the way I have it setup right now is working.

The app on my phone though connects with the external IP, and as you said that IP will change, then of course it will stop working.

So if I setup DynDNS, I don't do any port forwarding? I just enter the port used for Usenet, and use my DynDNS address..

And, what service is it called on Dyn that I need. There are quite a few.

*Found the service, created it. Set it up, working great with my Usenet application on my phone.

Now I want to be able to connect to my router through my phone or another computer. I forwarded the port I chose to my internal ip, 192.168.1.2, and typed in my new dyndns address on my phone with :2525 port number, and it does not work. How would I set this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave the port forward you have now, you need that.

If you have setup your router with your DynDNS credentials then replace the IP address on your phone app with your DynDNS name.

What router do you have btw?

Leave the port forward you have now, you need that.

If you have setup your router with your DynDNS credentials then replace the IP address on your phone app with your DynDNS name.

What router do you have btw?

Yea, the Usenet App is working great. With my DynDNS settings.

What I want to do now, is connect to my router settings, through my phones browser, or another computer. I seem to be able to do it on a computer just fine, i enter the address and enter my information. On my phone nothing happens.

And my other question was not answered. In the image I linked too, is how I have it set for Usenet. And the app connects through my DynDNS address. Works great. In the image, the settings, its forwarding to 192.168.1.2, that is only possible because I have a DHCP reservation. How would I do it without that?

You want to access your router's web interface from your phone when not at home? You would need to setup remote administration on the router itself, not a port forward.

From what I can find, it's under Administration. Look for Remote Access under Web Admin. Make sure you use a port other then 8080 (since you are using it for usenet) or 80 (not good to run a router's remote admin on port 80).

When you want to connect on your phone you go to yourdyn.dns.com:port

You have to include the :portnumber at the end, if you set port 81 then yourdyn.dns.com:81 for example.

If you just want to access it at home then your phone needs to be on your wifi and it would be the same way you'd do it on a computer (192.168.1.1 in a browser).

In terms of security I personally would discourage anyone from enabling remote administration of their router. Should it become compromised, they have your whole network, perhaps without you even knowing (ie. logging all your traffic, passwords, ect.).

1) As for why your phone is unable to connect to your router I couldn't tell you.

2) The 2nd part about setting up port forwarding without setting a static DHCP lease, it's the easiest way. =) Also why would you want another way if this way works?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back