Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thursday

http://www.cnn.com/

sad.

The sacrament does not necessarily mean that the pope is dying. Last rites -- also known as the sacrament of anointing the sick -- are commonly given to people who are seriously ill as well. The pope received the sacrament after he was shot by a would-be assassin in 1981.

They said 21:37 so as Italy is a hour ahead of the U.K. so 40 minutes ago.

prodj88 said:
why is mind set like "im too good for the hospital and i want to survive 100% naturally" idk it just seems like he thinks he's gonna get better without any1s help
the vatican was better equiped to handle the pope then most of the hospitals around the world.

prodj88 said:
idk CNN claimed that a hospital could of given better treatment and care

He told his carers he didn't want to go to the Hospital from news reports during the morning, so he was ready to meet his maker I supose.

Re: Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thur

Pope John Paul II, the spiritual leader to more than 1 billion Catholics who spread his message worldwide in his 26-year papacy, has died, Vatican sources tell CNN.

just got the breaking news

prodj88 said:
idk CNN claimed that a hospital could of given better treatment and care
I don't buy it...the very idea that the vatican wouldn't be giving the pope better care then a hospital just flies in the face of reason

Re: Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thur

I find it rather morbid that all those people were standing around in the streets waiting for him to die :speechless:

perris said:
I don't buy it...the very idea that the vatican wouldn't be giving the pope better care then a hospital just flies in the face of reason
The Pope without saying it just boosted and promoted the idea that people should be able to decide how they will die. He decided to die at home - the Vatican. I absolutely respect the decision though I'm sorry to learn of his inevitable death.

That said, medically speaking a person in good shape that has gone septic has only a 20-30% chance of surviving. Once you throw in his Parkinsons and other factors the chance drops. I also believe, as the Vatican normally does, that far less real information was released than existed. I don't think I'm alone in thinking the Pope's condition was far worse off than they admitted even before he "officially" became septic.

I may have my problems with the Catholic Church as an institution but I respected Pope John Paul II.

Evil Marge said:
I find it rather morbid that all those people were standing around in the streets waiting for him to die
I guess you and I see it differently. I saw the standing around of the people as more of a vigil. People praying and wanting to be present. People showing their respect.

Nontheless, there are many many Catholics around the world who have only known one Pope in their lifetime... Pope John Paul II.

rotjong

rotjong said:
I guess you and I see it differently. I saw the standing around of the people as more of a vigil. People praying and wanting to be present. People showing their respect.

rotjong
I guess we do,to me it just doesn't seem right to be standing there for that reason :suprised:

i though he passed away yesterday, it was on the news then people told me he was on a machine, whos the new pope now or what happens i dont know?

themafia.69 said:
i though he passed away yesterday, it was on the news then people told me he was on a machine, whos the new pope now or what happens i dont know?
Right now the Church is in what is known as Interregnum. It's the state between the death of the Pope and the election of the new Pope by the Cardinals who are under the age of 80.

The Pope's burial must be dealt with beteween 4 and 6 days of this death and the Conclave - the voting of the Cardinals - is required to begin no less than 15 days and no more than 20 days after the death. The voting for the next Pope must result in a vote of 2/3 plus 1 of the present Cardinals.

During the Conclave no one is allowed in the Sistine Chapel other than the Cardinals and the doors are locked and sealed with ribbons and wax to show if they've been opened at any point. To deal with the more modern ways of spying they'll also likely sweep the area of electronic bugging devices, as well.

rotjong

Evil Marge said:
I guess we do,to me it just doesn't seem right to be standing there for that reason :suprised:

35000+ people lining up outside some random man's house...a man who contributed absolutely nothing to society...then that is morbid.

jimi_81 said:
35000+ people lining up outside some random man's house...a man who contributed absolutely nothing to society...then that is morbid.

You should check on the guys history he did a lot to break down communism in Poland.

hmm
i wasnt implying the pope did nothing.

i was implying that 35000+ people showing their respect for an ailing man outside a house representing the beliefs of 1 billion people is NOT morbid.

i said 35000+ people surrounding a man who was a nobody is morbid.

i thought i was clear. i guess not.
my apologies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back