Pop Ups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dory

Was LadySunshine
Ok, someone has to help me here... :( :(

I can't browse the web anymore without a million popups... I can't even post here without having to stop, kill a popup and continue every now and again.

I've checked in the control panel for anything installed but there is nothing there that I can see. I also got a pop up killer but its not enough.

How come all of the sudden I get a million of these things!!! :mad:

Are they all similar? If so, do the following:

1) Run the latest ad-aware with the latest reference update
2) Look in msconfig and see if there is anything strange starting with your system (either from Startup folder or one of the RUN Keys in the Registry). Obviously something is starting with your system and causing this to happen.

Well I go to the link below and download the program its free for the basic version. Also do a virus scan on ur system. That's bot all I can think of. Hopes it helps.

check here for a spyware removal

Allan, if I do msconfig I have no idea what would look wrong, I can do a screen shot if you think it'll help??

Also I'll get that spyware stuff... I'll try anything at this point....
also XP cuts itself off from my cable modem if it sits idle for more then two minutes... then i have to reboot. whats that about!

on the msconfig under the start-up tab I believe if u make the window bigger or one of the columns it tells u what the program is and where its installed to and if there is something there that u don't remember installing I would take the check out of the box thats in front of whatever the item is. I'll post a screen shot of what I'm talking bout

here is a zip with 2 msconfig screen shots

Lady Sunshine - if you can get all the entries on a screenshot that will be fine, otherwise just list the names of the programs starting (the startup tab in msconfig).

As for the other problem, open Internet Options - Connection Tab - Hilight your connection & click on Settings - At the bottom where it says Dial Up Settings click on ADVANCED - Put a mark in "Disconnect if Idle For" and set the time limit or remove the existing mark so it will never disconnect.

I'm not on a dialup, I'm on a cable modem, it should never disconnect. :(

What I think he was saying is there is a choice under open Internet Options - Connection Tab - Hilight your connection & click on Settings - At the bottom where it says Dial Up Settings click on ADVANCED - Put a mark in "Disconnect if Idle For" and set the time limit or remove the existing mark so it will never disconnect. and it might have a check in a option that says if idle for x amount of time disconnected and that u might try removing that and see it keeps disconnecting u. Allan u can correct me if I'm wrong.

Chastitiy - thanks for trying to help ;) - but no, I missed the fact that it's a cable modem. Unless you need to dial up to obtain cable access, there are no connection settings for cable in Internet Options. My error - sorry. If you are disconnecting I'd check with your ISP and ask if others are complaining of the same problem.

ok at least I tried to help more but I sort of wondering about that myself since I've got a dsl connection and there ain't much I can do to change the settings but at least we tried

I'm on cable Chastity, but I used to have DSL and I'm sure there was an entry in the Connections tab. What is it you want to modify?

well there might be if the dsl modem was attached to my computer but since its connected to a router I don't have a connection listed in my internet options

In MSCONFIG, in the startup tab I have this:

em_exec; type32; rundll32; navapw32; nwiz; hbinst; webshots

Ok, I just installed the ad=aware software and did a scan, it came up with a few things I've never seen before from "doubleclick" and then there was my hotbar stuff which I don't want removed.

lets see if that helps! LOL

webshots is the only one I see that might be the cause.

ah the doubleclick is a very likely cause from what I've seen

WHOOPS!!! I took out components that make Kazaa run...grrr....

but they were causing popups like mad, any way around that? Whats a good software to download mp3's??

I only know kazaa. :(

If I'd known you were using kazaa.............

It's your system and your choice, but I continue to see LOTS of people complaining about problems, viri, spyware like crazy, etc. - not to mention your pop ups. Personally I'd avoid it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back