Pop Up prevention pgms, are they worth it?

Engineer

OSNN Addict
I heard the other day that a very popular download is Pop Up Ad Killer programs. I also heard that some of them have big compatibility issues with IE.

I am thinking about downloading a pop up killer program but I am not sure if I will end up downloading something that I will later regret.

Any thoughts on this? thanks

As an aside, I have NIS2003, I thought it dealt with Pop Ups, does it??

Engineer

The best popup killer in my opinion is zero popup. It has never let a popup through and is easy to disable if you need too.
Zero Popup

Google toolbar here too.
So far 1987 pop ups have been killed :D

Used zonealarm pro popup tool but it blocked the msn gaming zone from loading.

Then I used popup stopper but it was blocking popups that were parts of web pages I wanted to see.

Using google toolbar for IE now and no problems (that I have noticed).

GO GOogle!

google toolbar rocks. some where around 1500 blocked. i always recommend it.

by the way, im my opinion, zone alarm sucks the cack.
;-)

Firebird and Mozilla block popups by default... I use Firebird for my default browser for the most part, but occasionally a page that doesn't cooperate with Firebird, I'll load it in IE. That's why I have my google toolbar because I just cannot deal with all the stinkin' popups some of these pages have. I never even know they're there most of the time because Firebird blocks them by default.

Originally posted by cryogenic
in IE, I just use the google toolbar... I've never had any issues with that, to be perfectly honest. Plus it adds some nice functionality.
http://toolbar.google.com

same here... I turn off all the other stuff cept the popup blocker.. and it does its job very well :)

I have quite a few extensions loaded for firebird, and unfortunately I think it kills my startup times :( I use tabbrowser extensions, Things They Left Out, popup counter, status bar clock, and a few others.. I should probably remove them and Firebird might actually start up a bit faster... but I like the functionality. The integrated popup blocker is by far more useful than just about any other add-on, though.

Never had a pop-up with Norton Internet Security 2003 (as long as it is enabled to block them) nor with Zone Alarm Pro.

It makes surfing kinder without those lame pop-up windows.

I've been using MyIE2 for a loooongg time. Before it had a built in pop up blocker, I used AdMuncher ... but the built in blocker is just as good. It has some issues ... but easily forgiveable.

GUARD-IE for me... the best...

since I installed it... never saw a pop-up again... well of course, the ones that I allow, I see.

tons of other options, not just pop-ups... it blocks scripts too... check out Guard-IE

I been using pop-up stopper companion (it is integrated into google bar) .. It works like a charm .. With the way some sites are a pop-up stopper is a must. Also you will see alot of utility suite (Firewall, antivirus, disk, ect) are including them with the programs ...

Mainly all they are is progs that turn java on and off ... They just add more control over it ..

Originally posted by lechtard
Mainly all they are is progs that turn java on and off ... They just add more control over it ..

java"script"

I use Firebird as default, but when I must use IE I use Another IE Popup Killer. I put a shortcut to it in my startup folder...
A standalone app, very small (40K), runs in the tray and uses very little resources.
Find it here -->> http://fadsoft.com/

BTW-My firewall (Outpost) kills most ad-img, which is also helpful.
--------------------
beastmaster-
AMD ATHLON CPU XP-3200+ Barton 512K L2 Cache
512MB PC2700 PC333 DDR MEMORY
HD MAXTOR 80GB 7200RPM ATA133
ASUS A7N8X-X MB NFORCE-2 400
PIONEER A06 8X CD+RW&-RW DRIVE
NVIDIA GEFORCE-4 MX440 8X APG 128MB TV OUT
T1 connection gigabit card
------------------------
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6a) Gecko/20030923 Firebird/0.7+

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back