poker thread

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
talking about poker on another thread made me want to tell some stories, hope to hear yours also

bouncingsoul and myself were talking about some unlikely hands and one came up yesterday

I was playing 20-40 stud, was not involved in the hand I'm writing about;

check this out

pocket aces to my left, pocket kings to her left, and the bring in had the low card, a three, and pocket three's (3 threes to start the hand)

three three's came in for the big bet, 20 dollars, not a smart play but some people don't like rolled up low cards

the pocket aces played her hand slow, the pocket kings re raised, the three three's raised again and finally the pocket aces capped the betting

next card, everyone catches their card but the three's

that's right, pocket aces couaght the ace, pocet kings cought the king, the three three's cought a duce...nothing

quite a turn of events, wasn't it?

anyway, the three's cought the duce on 5th street for a full house, noboody else filled and three three's beat three aces, three kings.

huge pot becuase everyone kept raising and for some strange reasoin neither the three kings nor the three aces thought the pair of duces showing was a full house.

if you play poker, stories to share please...we accept bad beat stories on this thread

Last edited:
Let me say I love the idea of this thread!

I played and lost in our regional championship last night. Nothing terrible happened, a few questionable calls and some rivered bad beats but that was it. That's why the call it gambling. I look forward to reading some great stories.

I was playing in a pot limit game online. I had JJ as my hole cards. I raise pot preflop and get reraised pot, so I call. Flop comes out AJJ. I hit quad jacks on the flop. I checked and get raised pot, I reraise pot which puts me all-in for about $480. Guy turns over AA. Kinda what I figured by the way the hand has been played.

Turn hits , A.

I lose with 4 jacks to 4 aces. That is why I do not trust or play much online poker anymore.

I've got a million stories like this one, but losing with 4 jacks really pissed me off.

I was playing in a pot limit game online. I had JJ as my hole cards. I raise pot preflop and get reraised pot, so I call. Flop comes out AJJ. I hit quad jacks on the flop. I checked and get raised pot, I reraise pot which puts me all-in for about $480. Guy turns over AA. Kinda what I figured by the way the hand has been played.

Turn hits , A.

I lose with 4 jacks to 4 aces. That is why I do not trust or play much online poker anymore.

I've got a million stories like this one, but losing with 4 jacks really pissed me off.
Nothing I can think of off the top of my head, but I have had a few similar bad beats. I don't play online anymore, as I also don't really trust it.

I'm playing in a tournament this weekend actually, woo :smoker:

j79's story reminded me of another hand

I'm not involved in this hand but am at the table, this is with no doubt the worst bad beat I have ever seen or heard about;

this was what's called a "jackpot game"

what that means is that if you have a hand aces full you win a booty that increases every hand played until the jackpot is hit

(usually you need to losse with aces full of tens or better, not aces full of nines, sometimes any aces full, sometimes aces full of jacks)

it was a 5 ten hold'm game, there is one raise preflop

the flop came jack jack ace, and from the way the betting was going, it looked like aces full versus 4 jacks

jackpot, the aces full is about to win 20,000 dollars, in this game the looser of the hand gets all the money in the jackpot, there is no split

some games divide, half to the loser, one quarter to the winner, one quarter to the rest of the table...this game the looser got the whole jackpot

anyway, there is a third player who refuses to fold even though every card is capped

the turn came a duce, the river came a duce

aces full now does not get the jackpot, the 4 duces does

this is the worst bad beat I have ever seen, heard or read about, the aces full was already buying a car with the 20,000 he was sure he had one, he's left with nothing, the 4 jacks gets nothing but the pot, and the 4 duces get's 20 grand

Last edited:
20 40 stud this weekend at teh foxwoods.

I have three three's rolled up and I have the low card...low card rolled up is my favorite hand...better then three aces, this hand is incredibly deceptive...it's vulnerable to be sure, but it's a monster anyway

an ace to my right raises, this guy raises whenever he has an ace and he surely has nothing

a new player, just sat down, calls with a queen, she seems unhappy and I'm sure she doesn't have queens.

I fill up with sixes on the fifth street, the same time the women catches a pair of queens and the original raiser cought a king

she is very timid and checks, cleary nothing to go with her queens, he bets, I know he has kings in order to bet, he cuaght a 5 on fourth street, the way this guy is playing I am sure he has kings and fives to bet into queens on the table, I have an unbeatable hand. 3's full of 6's, a 6 is out, (no three's) and nobody on the planet would put me on a full house

I raise, the women calls 80 cold, the guy calls and looks pissed off (how could I have 6's full he says)

the women cought a 9 on sixth street.

everyone checks to me, I bet

the river the women looks at her last card, looks happy as piss (piss is happy if you didn't know this) and she bets

I cannot possibly believe what I am giving her now, I give her 9's full, a nine on 6th and a 9 on the river

I can't do anything but call unless I catch the last three in the deck.

I don't, I catch a friggin 6 to make 6's full instead of 3's full, it's the same hand against the table

I don't raise, (of course not), all I can do is call and hope she made some kind of straght or flush

nope...she's got 9's full and I was right, a 9 on 6th and a 9 on the river, starting the hand with an ace, 9, queen, unsited

who boy, big pot, gone.../me steamed

I won for the day though, only 140 bucks but happy to get out alive

Turn hits , A.

Fyi, the A's started off with the best odds so basically you lost to a better starting hand.

Luck sucks, but starting pot odds were in the favor of the A's

Turn hits , A.

Fyi, the A's started off with the best odds so basically you lost to a better starting hand.

Luck sucks, but starting pot odds were in the favor of the A's.

Was playing hold-em this past saturday, 4 am, absolutely plastered. Been drinking Ciroc all night long. My girl is a newb but she cleaned everyone out :D

Including me. My pair of 10's plus club flush lost to her pair of j's plus club flush lol.

Considering in 15 hands, I got 7-2 off-suit about 8 times, it was a harsh day. Trick is to make her make-up for it :devious:

No ****, but after the flop he was dead to one card. 5% IF the best starting hand always won, there would be no point to playing.

sazar, his odds of winning the hand are roughly 8 to one before the flop

the aces odds to win the hand after the flop are roughly even less I think then the 5 % that joe claims

j79, are you sure about that 5 %?

it seems even lower then that to me

when you have 4 jacks, add the three cards remaining in the total flop, add your oponents cards to make 9 cards that are out of the deck, leaving 43 cards

there are only 2 cards that can help the aces and they have to come sequentially

2 cards out of 43 gives a little worse then 1 in 20 chance of hitting perfect on the turn

that's less then 5 % just to hit on the turn

then one in 42 for perfect to hit the river

that's exponential I think...20 odd to one times 42 for the runner runner hit

I don't know the exact odds but I am pretty sure it's less then 5 %`

take those monumental odds and combine it with the odds of flopping 4 of a kind, which is something close about 400 to one, multiply THAT times the 20 times 42 and you see the unbelievable odds that joe is talking about to defeat his hand

Last edited:
1/43 + 1/42 0.023 + 0.024 = 0.047 ~5%

The preflop odds are 4-1 against me. Aces are about 80% favorite against one under pair.

isn't it 2/43 X 1/42? = 2/1806=1/903?

it's 2 in 43 just to hit the turn, that doesn't get added to to the river's 1 in 42, it gets mutiplied I believe

the river alone is a one in 42 shot, I can't see how that translates into 5 %

I suppose there is a disparaging odd differance between aces and a pair lower then 10's and obove 5's for the straight possibilities

Last edited:
I believe your odds are closer to the 5 % you're talking about if the ace comes on the flop

also, you only have a 1 in 7 to 8 chance of flopping a set, not one in 4, I suppose there are other hands you can make which accounts for the differance in odds you're talking about

if the aces improve to anything else it doesn't change his odds much becuase he is already winning the hand even if he doesn't improve, you pretty much have to hit the set for the aces to need an improvement

j79zlr said:
IF the best starting hand always won, there would be no point to playing.

sazar said:

you DO play becuase the best starting hand is supposed to win, you DON'T play to get lucky

I beleive j79 played the jacks because he didn't know he was against aces, if he knew he was against aces he would have mucked

if you are playing winning poker, the only reason to play is you think your oponent is playing wrong or you believe you can get him to fold a hand that he's supposed to call with

you never play a hand if you think you yourself need to get lucky...you only play when you think your oponent needs to get lucky or play badly

playing right doesn't always mean starting with the best hand, if I'm a one in 4 shot to win and there is 7 times the money to call in the pot, I am supposed to play the hand, I don't need to get lucky to win money playing this hand, in the long run I am supposed to win money playing with odds like this

Last edited:
This thread makes me realize I'm not very good at this game. I never bother to figure out the odds someone is holding something. In fact I don't even know how they figure someone is 80% or whatever to win on TV.

All I know is the first hand of my hold em tournament this past weekend ended in 5 minutes when I raised with my pocked A's and was called by pocket 9's and the flop came 3 3 9. In retrospect I figure there was no way I could win that hand. Even if I went all in just for the blinds (50 chips out of 2000 starting) I think the 9's would have called me anyway, he's a known loose player.

1/43 + 1/42 0.023 + 0.024 = 0.047 ~5%

The preflop odds are 4-1 against me. Aces are about 80% favorite against one under pair.
ok, put it into an odds calculator, here are the results;

teh holdem calcualter said:
pokenum -h as ah - - js jh -- jc jd 5h
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Jc Jd 5h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
As Ah 1 0.10 989 99.90 0 0.00 0.001
Js Jh 989 99.90 1 0.10 0 0.00 0.999

faces win one every 990 hands, my equation fell in the generous side giving one every 903 hands

Last edited:
All I know is the first hand of my hold em tournament this past weekend ended in 5 minutes when I raised with my pocked A's and was called by pocket 9's and the flop came 3 3 9. In retrospect I figure there was no way I could win that hand. Even if I went all in just for the blinds (50 chips out of 2000 starting) I think the 9's would have called me anyway, he's a known loose player.

points of strategy and goals in a tournament, which you play differantly then a cash game

1) if you are knocked out, you want to be knocked out holding the best hand...if I get knocked out, I want to get knocked out holding aces.

2) at the beginning of the tournament, try not to play big pot hands unless you are absolutely certain you are starting with the best cards..winning a big pot at the beginning of the tournament means nothing since the blinds are doubling pretty soon...it will get you only one hand in the next round and you risk getting knocked out of the entire tournament if you are calling with most of your chips

if I think my oponent has a small pair and I call with what I think is a bigger pair, he turns over a bigger pair then me, I am pissed I read the player wrong

when you get knocked out starting the hand with the best cards it means you are playing correctly and your oponent needed to get lucky to win

most of the time in a tournament, you are going to have to get lucky a few times to get to the final table

the thing is, the times you need to get lucky you want it to be because your oponent held a deceptive hand, you DIDN'T play thinking you needed to get lucky to win

Last edited:
With that flop I put in on A9 for two pair. In which case my two pair were dominating him, obviously I was wrong. Yes he got lucky and yes it sucks. I'm dreading going back for this weekends tournament cause it's going to be all over that I busted out on the first hand. No one will know that I was holding AA to start. Gonna take a bit to rebuild my reputation.

My main thing is I'm usually a grinder. I don't like to raise for the sake of raising and I don't bluff unless I sense weakness. There is no point in playing bad hands unless you know you can chase people away with a well timed bluff. I still love the game, I envy anyone who can play for a living.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back