no, of course not, it's a competition.

how bout chess?

bowling?

golf?

I think the point is...

Dont post threads about poker (Only Strip Poker Please)
Dont post threads about chess.
Dont post threads about bowling (errrrrr)
Dont post threads about golf.

ha...I was ineffectively trying to start a debate.

I'm very frustrated when I hear anyone talk about golfers as athletes...bowlers as athletes..that's all.

now, don't get the wrong idea, and let me be the first to say that the tiger is an athletic man.

I'm an athletic man, and I play chess pretty well.

chess is still not a sport, no matter that a person in better shape gives himself more edge then if he were not in shape.

the same is true for golf

the same is true for bowling.

The english lahnguage has the word "competition"

this is an unbrella phrase, which does in fact encompass golf, chess, bowling, backgammon. boxing, fottball, etc...every activity where you try to outperform an oponent...competition.

then we have subdevided the word, and created a spcialized catagory known as "sport". they are not synonims, and there should be a huge differance between any competition, and a competition that is called sport.

that's what I'm saying.

you can talk about any competition you want on this thread, but I will never, ever concider golf a sport.

now,if we invented a new form of golf, say "rambow golf"

here, on each hole, the quickest to complete, will get say a stroke taken off his score, and say the second to complete the whole recieved 1/2 stroke off, and so on...then, that would be a sport, and more then a competition

well every sport or competition is actually pretty pointless and as far as the players go they have a lot skill otherwise they wouldn't get paid the kind of money you hear bout. So people Like Tiger Woods got to where they are by skill and a little luck.

*** "Sport" web1913 "Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"
Sport \Sport\ (sp[=o]rt), n. [Abbreviated frm disport.]
1. That which diverts, and makes mirth; pastime; amusement.

It is as sport a fool do mischief. --prov. x. 23.

Her sports were such as carried riches of knowledge
upon the stream of delight. --Sir P.
Sidney.

Think it but a minute spent in sport. --Shak.

2. Mock; mockery; contemptuous mirth; derision.

Then make sport at me; then let me be your
jest.Shak.

3. That with which one plays, or which is driven about in
play; a toy; a plaything; an object of mockery.

Flitting leaves, the sport of every wind. --Dryden.

Never does man appear to greater disadvantage than
when he is the sport of his own ungoverned pasions.
--John Clarke.

4. Play; idle jingle.

An author who should introduce such a sport of words
upon our stage would meet with small applause.
--Broome.

5. Diversion of the field, as fowling, hunting, fishing,
racing, games, and the like, esp. when money is staked.

6. (Bot. & Zo["o]l.) A plant or an animal, or part of a plant
or animal, which has some peculiarity not usually seen in
the species; an abnormal variety or growth. See {Sporting
plant}, under {Sporting}.

7. A sportsman; a gambler. [Slang]

{In sport}, in jest; for play or diversion. ``So is the man
that deceiveth his neighbor, and saith, Am not I in
sport?'' --Prov. xxvi. 19.

Syn: Play; game; diversion; frolic; mirth; mock; mockery;
jeer.
Sport \Sport\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Sported}; p. pr. & vb. n.
{Sporting}.]
1. To play; to frolic; to wanton.

[Fish], sporting with quick glance, Show to the sun
their waved coats dropt with gold. --Milton.

2. To practice the diversions of the field or the turf; to be
given to betting, as upon races.

3. To trifle. ``He sports with his own life.'' --Tillotson.

4. (Bot. & Zo["o]l.) To assume suddenly a new and different
character from the rest of the plant or from the type of
the species; -- said of a bud, shoot, plant, or animal.
See {Sport}, n., 6. --Darwin.

Syn: To play; frolic; game; wanton.
Sport \Sport\, v. t.
1. To divert; to amuse; to make merry; -- used with the
reciprocal pronoun.

Against whom do ye sport yourselves? --Isa. lvii.

2. To represent by any knd of play.

Now sporting on thy lyre the loves of youth.
--Dryden.

3. To exhibit, or bring out, in public; to use or wear; as,
to sport a new equipage. [Colloq.] --Grose.

4. To give utterance to in a sportive manner; to throw out in
an easy and copious manner; -- with off; as, to sport off
epigrams. --Addison.

{To sport one's oak}. See under {Oak}, n.

ours is a living language, with meanings that go beyond what the dictionary brings.

it's good sport to make merry.

thhis is a differant word then the word I'm using.

I'm using the word sport as ir refers to an athletic activity, thus, bowling, golf, chess, poker do not fit in this catagory

well any card game or a board game cant be sport, because u dont do nothing physically chalanging while playing. ofcoure u have to be in good running shape if u play cards for a lot of money and u always loose, but that's already after the game and doesnt make card games sport

Is bowling a sport - I say yes (dependent on the level of competition) - as clarified by the following partial quote:

Bowling is highly comparable to archery, shooting, baseball/softball pitching or other accuracy based
sports where the ability to perform a skill precisely and repeatedly is the key to success.
High performance bowlers possess these abilities as do Olympic-level athletes in the sports noted above.

Are all bowlers elite athletes? Certainly not. Bowling is played by persons of all skill and ability levels: recreational beginners to the very elite. While it is considered by some to be a leisure
pursuit, bowling has long been a competitive sport among the more elite bowling athletes whether in local leagues or tournaments, or in regional, national or international championships.

Much like tennis, running, equestrian, table tennis, baseball/softball, basketball and many other
Olympic sports, persons participate for many reasons including recreation or health/fitness but do so at level far below the Olympic high performance standard.

In summary, elite bowlers possess the physical and mental attributes to consistently perform a complex sport skill such that they can roll an approximately 15 pound (6.82 Kg) ball down an
18.3 meter (60 foot) lane in such a manner that ten pins are toppled with virtually every roll of the ball. To achieve a perfect score of 300 this must be done twelve times in succession.

Though different in the requirements for successful performance of sport skills such as baseball/softball pitching, basketball shooting, archery, shooting (rifles/pistols) and even diving
and gymnastics, bowling requires precision and consistency in every execution of the technique. Failure to deliver a single, precisely rolled ball in one game or over a three-game set is often the difference between winning and losing a match. Therefore, the bowler must deliver the ball with virtually perfect biomechanical execution each and every time the ball is rolled down the lane during competition.

Look here for the entire article

I don't think this definition is what we commonly use in language...for instance, this deifinition also works for those dominoes competition, doesn't it.

plus, most poker players, chess players, etc. would also argue that they too fall within this definition.

what I'm saying is that these difinitions are flawed, or we need a new word that conotates an athletic activitie, where an elevated heart rate is maintained for more then a few minutes.

with my definition, no, archery could not possibly be considered a sport...unless compound bows were not used, and the strain of the pull elevated the heart reate for a period of time.

sport needs to be something that you need to race your heart for a period of time...say 7 minuts of an elevated heart rate...that would be a sport the way we use the term

that's the common conception of the word, though in marketing, anouncers try to lump all competitions into this agressive word, "sport"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back