PNY Ultra 5900 256 (probs)

C

cwalker2734

I just bought the $500.00 GeForce fx 5900 Ultra 256 MB card, and ran 3dmark2001 with no visble performance increase !!!!!

I scored 12400 pts. with my GeForce 4 Ti4600, and just did it again with the new card ..

Any ideas..?

I checked the BIOS, reinstalled DirectX9.0b
reinstalled 44.76 Detonator drivers, and nothing...

What am I overlooking ??

:mad: :confused: :(

That is a little low, but I also noticed not much of an increase in my 3dmark score. With my old GF4 4400, I got about 12,000; now I'm at about 14,000 with a 9800pro. Try increasing the resolution with 6xAA/8xANI filters though; where your old card would sputter and all but die, your new card will be much better.

I think the processor/RAM/FSB plays a BIG role in 3dmark2001 scores. Try upping your FSB several MHz and try again, I think you'll notice an improvement.

Also, compare the DX9 scores from your old card to the one you have now. I don't even have to explain any further. :)

Originally posted by cwalker2734
I just bought the $500.00 GeForce fx 5900 Ultra 256 MB card, and ran 3dmark2001 with no visble performance increase !!!!!

I scored 12400 pts. with my GeForce 4 Ti4600, and just did it again with the new card ..

Any ideas..?

I checked the BIOS, reinstalled DirectX9.0b
reinstalled 44.76 Detonator drivers, and nothing...

What am I overlooking ??

:mad: :confused: :(

check your AA and AF settings.. and try turning them off if they are enabled...

OK, Ill try it out, I was just hoping to see some 15000 scores on 3dmark....oh well.

P.S. everything was at default (3dmark2001) on AA, no AF..

fps didnt change much...damn piece of junk !!!

OK, Ill try it out, I was just hoping to see some 15000 scores on 3dmark....oh well.

P.S. everything was at default (3dmark2001) on AA, no AF..

fps didnt change much...damn piece of junk !!!

well 3dmark2001 is more a test for dx8... and that performance yes... you should be good... but try out 3dmark03...

that will demonstrate the true power of your card...

apparently ati's dx9 demos also work with your card (they are after all... dx9 :D ) so give them a twirl after you finished leering @ dawn/dusk and the other dx9 demos from nvidia :)

OK thank you to everyone for the pointers...

I was about to throw the thing out the window.

Originally posted by Sazar
well 3dmark2001 is more a test for dx8... and that performance yes... you should be good... but try out 3dmark03...

that will demonstrate the true power of your card...

apparently ati's dx9 demos also work with your card (they are after all... dx9 :D ) so give them a twirl after you finished leering @ dawn/dusk and the other dx9 demos from nvidia :)

But ATI's demos just aren't as interesting. :D
The dawn demo gets a bit choppy at 1600x1200 with all the settings turned up though. :(

The ATI one I like the best is the Pipe Dream demo. Are there any other really cool ones out there?

Originally posted by scriptasylum
But ATI's demos just aren't as interesting. :D
The dawn demo gets a bit choppy at 1600x1200 with all the settings turned up though. :(

The ATI one I like the best is the Pipe Dream demo. Are there any other really cool ones out there?

eh.. come on... the chimp demo is pretty good... the animusic and the bacteria screensaver :D

btw... the chimp is nekid to start with... no need for little nudie mods :D

also... dawn runs perfectly fine here @ 1600x1200...

Well, my old hard drives crashed on me so I bought some newer/faster ones..

The 3dmark2001 score has jumped to 13300.

Good but still not what it should be..

Well, my old hard drives crashed on me so I bought some newer/faster ones..

The 3dmark2001 score has jumped to 13300.

Good but still not what it should be..

I highly suggest you consider 3dmark03... and also try out the other tests that are available out there in order to get an indication of the performance..

as it stands.. 3dmark is a relative performance indicator.. a lower 3dmark score does not mean you have a bad card... anything around 10k and higher should indicate a card capable of playing 1600x1200 res in most all games... or 1280x1024...

cwalker

What Sazar said about the DX9. But remember the DX9 benchmark scores much lower than the DX8 so don't freak out the first time you run them.

The "speed" in the new cards is designed to handle the complicated DX9 processing and maximum antialiasing and anisotropic filtering to make games look better but at the same frame rates. Turn AA off and AF off and scores should go up.

Also, one other thing to try on the older benchmark. Make sure your video card vertical sync is turned OFF. If it's set to ON the frame rate is limited to your monitors refresh rate! For a really fast card like yours that hurts results big time.

Thanks guys--

I ran 3dmark2003 and scored 5000, from what I hear thats pretty good.

The true test will be when I play Half Life 2 @ the highest res !!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back