Plural..

Is 1.5 Plural ?

• Total voters

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Ok, some friends and I were discussing this at work today (Yeah, we were that busy ;p) weather or not the value of 1.5 is plural.

I don't remember what the objects were as the initial example, but for the sake of this thread, we'll have one and a half cookies. Now is that plural?

My argument was that plural is a value of objects greater than one, and 1.5 > 1.
However, others seemed to think that plural was the value of 2.

So no one could agree. What do you think? :)

P

PseudoKiller

no... 1.5 is not plural. By definition plural Indicates more than one of a noun. Pronouns can also be plural.

chris

Free to Fly
It depends on the context. Like you cant have 1.5 people, so the answer would be no in that case, but if your talking about pies, or cakes, then yes, you can have 1.5 cakes and pies. So the answer then would be yes.

Arrrghhh.. why you make me think so hard about this :( :p

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
plu·ral*(plrl)
adj.
1. Relating to or composed of more than one member, set, or kind: the plural meanings of a text; a plural society.

2 .Grammar. Of or being a grammatical form that designates more than one of the things specified.
more than one. 1.5 is more than one.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
it's easy to solve the question

all you need to do is examine the grammar of it

1.5 cookIES

one cookie...cookies is plural

1.5 PEOPLE

one person...people is plural

the grammar of the question solves the question

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Wow, I'm impressed it was only 7 posts this time until someone with a knowledge of English grammer posted a correct answer.

It's really surprising what a small percentage of NTFS posters have English as a first language. I guess we really do live in a global economy. :)

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I vote not plural

as a purist non-pluralist I believe this has to be in integers - so I would actually also say 2.5 was not plural too.... I think I am adding to this meaningless and trivial debate - as for the cookies - I only accept them in integer variations too - and preferably not plural cookies, IE I prefer cookie to cookies?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut