plugs on ATX PSU

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
When I was adding my new PSU to my new mobo a few weeks, I plugged in the 10-pin ATX connector into the mobo as usual, and also that 4-pin ATX12V thing too, which was a seperate wire. There is however, another 4-pin connector that is part of the same wire that the 10-pin plug is on, infact when it arrived they were stuck together like a sort of '14-pin' plug. I had to click them into 2 before I could plug the 10-pin into my mobo. What the hell is this extra 4-pin plug for?

If I am understanding you correct, you are referring to a 24-pin adapter, not 10 or 14. By counting 10, you are only counting 1 row, but in reality, it's 24. This is a new technology (not so new anymore) referred to as E-ATX, or Extended ATX. This was initially used on Server Motherboards, but has since crept its way into the Desktop Environment. As little as 6 months ago, these PSU's were hard to come by, but nowadays they are relatively standard. They usually come with 20 pins or 24 pins, with an adapter to go backwards/forwards. Example being a 20 pin comes with a 20to24 pin adapter, and vice versa.

I have attached a picture, just to make sure I understand you...

EDIT: Sorry, E-ATX is the motherboard standard, for PSU you would want to look for EPS12V

EDIT2: I have also posted a good article regarding details of the spec itself

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Ah yeah sorry, I don't know why I called it a 10-pin plug.
Thanks for the info, it's been bugging me for a while!

ray_gillespie said:
Ah yeah sorry, I don't know why I called it a 10-pin plug.
Thanks for the info, it's been bugging me for a while!

No problem :)

First time I got parts like that, I didn't have a 24 pin adapter and my mobo needed it. I had to overnight and have it delivered on a Saturday because Best Buy said it was too "cutting edge" to be carried by them :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back