Plugins and things

N

Not Bman

hahaha, you thought it was over, nope new question

I was trying to play a dvd, but totem said I needed plugins

then I copyed from my windows partition, avi files, and totem said the same thing

what plugins do I need, where do I get them, how do I install them???

THanks

I haven't tried recent SuSE builds, so I'm not sure how the package management system works, but basically you'll need to locate (in YaST, maybe?) and install the appropriate libraries for the video formats that you're trying to play.

The Ubuntu community actually came up with a couple of nice and easy installers (Automatix and EasyUbuntu) that do it all for you, and optionally install the appropriate plugins for Firefox so you can play embedded videos as well. Unfortunately, they won't work on SuSE since they use Debian packages.

hmm, so does anyone know how to do this in SUSE....cause I have no clue on how the libraries work

You can try here: http://packman.links2linux.org/

Look under the Libraries and Multimedia categories. They're all RPMs for SuSE 10.x, so you just need to download and install them. Go through the list, read the descriptions, and pick the ones you need.

I went through the list quickly, but I don't know which one I need, I didn't really see anything for avi's or dvds or anything

Bman™ said:
I went through the list quickly, but I don't know which one I need, I didn't really see anything for avi's or dvds or anything
Most of them are there if you actually have the patience to read the descriptions carefully. ;)

Alternatively, just download and use VLC; you probably won't need anything else.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc

xine will play dvds for you. you can add that through an rpm or use yast.

I haven't tryed VLC yet, but there is no xine within Yast, I can't find anything in that thing..

when I try to install VLC, the rpm file, I open it up with this program thingy...

and this is what I get, and it dosen't go anywhere....

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't, i dont really see anything usefull in Yast.....

Bman™ said:
when I try to install VLC, the rpm file, I open it up with this program thingy...

and this is what I get, and it dosen't go anywhere....

everytime I get this.....so I left it the last time, and when I come back my screen is black. I think oh, the screen is just doing what it normally does, I move the mouse and all and nothing happens, I have to press reset on the case....??

*VLC is not in my YasT? should it be?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back