please help. xp randomly crashes. :(

D

dvdsecretz

hey guys / gals

i am only new here, just found this place, looks like a great community.

sorry to bug you all with a problem but my win xp pro just randomly crashes. while i am surfing the net / writing out a document etc my pc just freezes. everything halts and i can't even move the mouse.

ctrl-alt-del doesn't do anything.

even when i go to bed and wake up i find the pc crashed.

the only way round is by pressing restart,

can anyone help me with this strange problem? :(

my spec is below. i have installed the nvidia detonator xp driver thinking it could me something to do with graphics but still the same.

also i am up to date with win xp pro updates.

spec:

AMD Athlon 1GHz CPU
256MB PC100
40GB 7200rpm HD
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX / MX400
onboard sound
512k cable internet connection
and all i run is a server where i host my site from
PHP / PHPBB / MYSQL / APACHEPHP

i went to MSCONFIG and uncheckked all the things i don't need to run at start up and now i only have 2 things running.

still freezing / crashing :(

please help guys

Sounds like a heat problem or RAM problem.

Check both the fan on your CPU and Graphics card is working, you can get many utils for monitoring CPU heat and fan speed.

Check your RAM. If you have more than one stick, take one out see if it still happens, if it does take the next one out (put the other one back) see if it happens etc. Also see if you can borrow a stick from someone incase all sticks are bad or you only have one to start with

u would know if the CPU fan woznt workin cos ud hear a pop and that would b the end of ur beloved AMD chip!! Believe me i have had that xp-erience!

I have a similar problem, but it only started recently so im thinkin that its a software problem as i have overkill on the case cooling front!!

Windoes update im thinkin but cant b sure

Is your bios up to date? Updating my bios solved my "freeze" problem.

as silent_bob said as well, i think this will be software related or something in that way as it was perfect before.

i reinstalled windows xp pro recently and it started happening pretty soon after that. but that was the same cd that i installed from before.

as for overheating. i took out the fan and heatsink, cleaned them both, seems to be spinning fast as anything.

not know anything about bios updates, help here would be appreciated.

i have a K7VZA
Chipset: VIA KT133A&686B

any further ideas guys?

thanks for the help so far. greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by dvdsecretz

i reinstalled windows xp pro recently and it started happening pretty soon after that. but that was the same cd that i installed from before.
Was it an upgrade or a clean install?

as for overheating. i took out the fan and heatsink, cleaned them both, seems to be spinning fast as anything.
What thermal compound did you use?

REPLY TO xsivforce ::

it was a clean install. i first installed win 98 SE and then win xp and chose clean installation, not an upgrade.

as for this question: Was it an upgrade or a clean install?

i am not sure what that means. the heatsink and fan are for amd athlon, i bought it along with the processor.

the heatsink and fan are for amd athlon, i bought it along with the processor.
Right. You said you cleaned the heatsink? Did you apply a thermal compound before you re installed it?

Edit: Oh I see. You cleaned the fins of the heatsink. You didn't remove it and clean it.

I see what you mean m8

i did actually remove the heatsink completely from the cpu.

also unscrewed the 4 little screws, took the fan off and cleaned it all.

as for the thermal compund (i know what you mean now)... i remmeber some pure white stuff being there first time i built the machine, didn't reapply any after the clean at all.

should this be done?

thanks man

DVDSECRETZ

should this be done?

thanks man

DVDSECRETZ
Without a doubt! Arctic Silver 3 is the best. When you apply it, make sure it is a very thin layer.

I also have the K7VZA, and if you are running XP PRO...DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS TO 3.6a!!!!!

I REPEAT DO NOT!!!

you must be using 3.4 in order to resolve the freezing...
I know because I had the same problem, tried a fresh install, and it would not finish the install... I went back to 3.4 and now my system works flawless... I too have a 1.4 T-Bird....

i haven't flashed the bios at all

the bios is the same as when i bough the m/board

is there a way to find out what my version it is now?

and if its below 3.4 do I flash t 3.4 and just stay away from 3.6?

where do i get the bios update for this board?

thanks for the help man

DvD

thanks man

just done it and it shows 3.4 at boot up.

after you have been on your pc a while and u do a restart what your cpu and system temp?

i am gonna check mine now and post here.

i have a feeling there may be something wrong there.

cheers man

DvD

I'm runnin 47 doing things with minimal load and 52 at the top.
When I first boot up after a restart it's usually 46 or 47

this is what i got:

CPU TEMP: 47
SYSTEM TEMP: 34
CPU FAN SPEED: 5120

VCORE 1.72V
3.3V 3.36V
5V 5.02V
12V 12.24V

does this look normal?

thanks for helping out bro.

my bios ver was 3.2b and i have updated to 3.4 - do you think thats what may have been the prob? i can't say the prob has been solved as i did it not long ago, but so far it seems ok.

v3.4 said update to support xp

i hope this will be ok

:)

DVD

well I think it will do the trick, it worked on mine.
But remember, don't go to the 3.6a version, unless you get an XP chip... it took me a week to figure that out... and i'm almost completely bald now from pulling out my hair...

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back