please HELP! windows xp keeps rebooting

remixer999

OSNN One Post Wonder
I've been running windows xp on my computer for about 8 months now with no problems. I have a amd athlon 64 3000, 1 gig kingston 3400 ram, bfg 6800gt video card, 160gb sata hd. Windows starts up, gets to the windows splash screen with the bar moving across while it loads, goes black, then reboots. This is an endless cycle. I can go into safe mode, which i did, to back up all my important documents and files. I really don't want to reinstall windows again so is there any other way to fix this problem?

I believe the last time it was working was before I went on a trip for 3 days, left my computer on while it was downloading something, and came back to see my monitor black and not turning on. So i just turned off my computer and turned it back on, and that's when it started. I first thought it was a hardware problem, sent in my video card to get a new one, same problem. Ram is fine too, and didn't test my hd on another computer just yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you running SP2? It is possible that windows downloaded an update or service pack automatically while you were away and encountered a problem during installation, such as a powercut. If you press F8 when windows is loading, you can choose to run "Last known good configuration", that may restore your computer's settings to how they were the last time you loaded windows successfully. If this doesn't work, I think you're gonna have to re-install windows.

i've had this problem before, last known good configuration worked then, but had to reinstall graphics card. no idea why it happened though :s

ya try removing some drivers, and see if it boots. A problem like this may be just quicker to do a windows Repair, as opposed to finding what is really casuing the problem. This should help you out if you have a full XP cd and not an upgrade disk. I got it off this website: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. To Repair Install, press ENTER
do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If this doesn't help you can alwasy try googeling XP repair, and im sure you will find a step by step thing to follow with pictures :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back