Please help this dumba$$ disable the workstation service

damnyank

I WILL NOT FORGET 911
I am trying to disable my "workstations service" for quicker boots - I have searched and tried and I guess I am just a dumba$$. Only thing I could come up with is that I was doing it wrong.

I found this: - Try this : " Go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and Disable workstation (at the bottom of the list) This is assuming that you are not using the PC as a network Workstation."

I was highlighting workstation and then trying to stop it - and that did not work! I got something about an error 1503 Background Intelligent Transfer Servicce did not respond in a timely fashion.

After I got the error above, I played around some more and then came up with this idea:

Go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services , right click on workstation, right click on properties and "disable at startup" in the drop down menu???

Is this really how I turn off workstation services??

This dumba$$ certainly thanks everyone for whatever response I get - even if it's something like - yes dy - that's what was said in the first place!:D

WHY?

Workstation is an essential operating system service, and I don't think it can be stopped or disabled

JJB

dy - as you know, the above two posts are absolutely incorrect. If you are not on a local network where you need to be able to share files and/or services, then by all means Workstation should be disabled.

To disable any service, go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services then double-click on the service in question and choose your setting (in this case, set it to "disabled"). Alternatively, you can use msconfig - though I prefer the first method.

disabled mine no problem

Reboot & try again

dont worry about Intelligent Transfer Service

you can disable that safely as well

:)

Thanks allan and 2Z - I got the initial idea from the various threads at different forums including this

I'll try it right now - I guess a reboot will show if it worked or not!

Thanx again!

if you're not sure about a service you can set it to 'manual' instead of disabling it completely.. if it is required it will be started..

It is slightly faster (maybe 10 to 15 seconds)- but I probably need to do some more tweaking on the sevices - now that I got the basics - I'll keep trying!

Thanx again!

dy - there is a SERVICES thread in Common Questions at the other site you might want to check out.

U know I know that and I also like to check out the other one - what is it Black Viper???;)

Be careful with black viper. Great site but not geared toward the novice. And some of his service recommendations need some updating.

Best suggestion I can give you is to change one or two services at a time and live with it for a day. If everything is okay, change another one or two. Keep notes on what you do and when you do it.

Are you experiencing a problem or just trying to speed the boot as much as possible?

Hee Hee 2 Z and NetRyder - I told ya I was a dumba$$ - I thought the guides were not working yet - duh (a true blond moment I guess!):D :D :D

allan - no problem - just trying to speed the boot a little at a time - ya know I usually go slow!;)

its been sat on my hard drive since
05 May 2002, 14:37:16

:p

Sorry TwoZ - didn't know you guys had one. Certainly wasn't trying to overshadow anything or anyone. ;)

2Z - I am a wimp, I avoid the registry like the plague - I take things slowly and try to learn something- before I take the "big plunge" (for me) like disabling a service.

In May I saw no need for the guide - so I didn't download it!

I am trying to learn and there's a heck of a curve when you are an old man and you don't have the bal-errr I mean guts of the younger generation. There are times I wish I could just dive into it and try everything at one time - but I guess I am more methodical and try things at a slower pace!

<dy thinks - that sounds like my sex life - slower pace>

Oh, Oh - gonna get edited!;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back