Please help, new computer wont boot!

jrcairo

OSNN Addict
First of all, thank you all for taking your time trying to help me with this issue,
Long story short, I've just build a computer for my 5 year old son (so he wont mess mine :D ), the problem is, after I put everything together and pressed the power button, for a "fraction of a second", all the lights led goes on (CD, power light, keyboard), the fans starts spinning, like would boot normally, but then it dies in less than second later, the motherboard has a little led light that is on, so the PSU should be OK (??!!),
So, does anyone knows what it could be or have the same experience, once again I thank you all in advance for your help...
Let me give you the specs:
MOBO: D865PERLL
CPU Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz P4 2.80E SL79K CPU PRESCOTT 800
Memory: Patriot Signature 512MB PC2700 333MHz
Video Card:BFG Technologies-Asylum GeForce MX 4000 Graphics Card-ASLMX4000

Please Guys help me out on this I'm completely lost :(
Great Weekend

Had the same thing with a computer of mine, turned out the motherboard (to be exactly, the Northbridge chip) was fried. Steps to do:
Plug in only the bare essentials (CPU, PSU, RAM), nothing more, nothing less, now try to turn it on (also make sure you didn't unplug the power-button accidentally :D), see what happens. If you have more than one stick of RAM, try them both (or more if you have more), one at the time. You might hear an annoying beep, meaning the system is missing a vid-card, but that's normal, since it isn't plugged in. Report back with your findings :)

have you connected the 12v power connector from the power supply unit?

Glaanieboy said:
Had the same thing with a computer of mine, turned out the motherboard (to be exactly, the Northbridge chip) was fried. Steps to do:
Plug in only the bare essentials (CPU, PSU, RAM), nothing more, nothing less, now try to turn it on (also make sure you didn't unplug the power-button accidentally :D), see what happens. If you have more than one stick of RAM, try them both (or more if you have more), one at the time. You might hear an annoying beep, meaning the system is missing a vid-card, but that's normal, since it isn't plugged in. Report back with your findings :)

Just did what you'd suggested, (By the way THANKS!!) I've remove the Video Card, only had the CPU and memory, but still the same,the fan (CPU fan) spins (just for a second) but no beep whatsoever...
Is starting to get scary :eek:

Sazar said:
have you connected the 12v power connector from the power supply unit?

Yes, I did, the motherboard has a small led on, I hope it s/b OK!

Yeah, the reason I said overheating is because mobos these days will turn off power automatically (even in a few split seconds) if the CPU reaches a certain temperature.

Best to do what the guys said tho and try to test each of the componants.

I could also be turning itself off if it detects that the CPU fan isn't spinning. Usually this is because the fan is plugged into the "wrong" connetor or the sensor being faulty. A bios reset usually turns the option to do this off so you can start the computer. Worth a try. :)

Zedric said:
I could also be turning itself off if it detects that the CPU fan isn't spinning. Usually this is because the fan is plugged into the "wrong" connetor or the sensor being faulty. A bios reset usually turns the option to do this off so you can start the computer. Worth a try. :)

Now is getting really scary!! :eek: How can I reset bios?

ok ok forget what everybody here said..... for now.

Check this OUT FIRST, (this first part is not really required but it helps to ascertain that its all put together correctly) take the PC apart and put it back together again slowly and methodically (don't mess with the bios, especially if its a new board you'll void the warrantee), paying extremely close attention to the part where you plug in the plugs for the HDD lights, Sound, Reset buttons etc.. if some of these or all (depending on the m/b) are not put in right the pc will not even start, or sometimes it will just start the psu and fan running.

95% of the time this is the reason the pc will not start up, if you hear a beep within the first 1-2 seconds then the board is fine, if you see nothing but still here the beep its possibly the video card, if you hear beep beep, its usally the mem or processor, if you here beep beep beep continuosly it usally means the board is fried (if its new just get a new one).

Also if you have more than one memory card just insert one then the other to test.

Let me know if this helps.

oh yeah also make sure the psu is set to 115v and not the european selection of 240v.

Thanks

jrcairo, is the comp up and running yet?

by the way it comes down to it resetting the bios is easy enough for an old pro haha:D , just take the battery out of the mobo and wait about 20 seconds then put it back in, make sure you wash your hands and they are free of static first.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back