Please, Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W

wezman2k

this is killing me. i share this computer with multiple users and i was wondering how i could configure the settings so it's like each user has their own computer. i don't want them to interact with eachother, besides the OS and installed programs. i want to be able to make a shortcut on my desktop and leave the other users' desktop unchanged vice versa. also, when you have MANY windows open on the toolbar (I'm guessing u all know what the toolbar is, with the tart button and junk), is there any possible way to edit the registry or something so you can take away the two arrows and have it like windows 98? i've been searching many documents for info on both of these problemas but none seem to relate to what i'm talking about.

I not sure I understand your question. If you have multiple user they should all have their own settings and desktop. They will all be able to access all folders and files unless you set rights to the folders and/or files. Most importantly, which version of XP do you have? And as for the second part, which arrows are you refering to? The ones that unhide hiden shortcuts? If thats it, right click on the task bar, then select "properties", then uncheck "hide inactive icons".

I think he means the grouping.. go to right click on the taskbar and click properties and uncheck group similar task bar items

And as for the users the easiest way would be to make multipal accounts. go to start>control panel>user accounts>create new account

oh I forgot about the shortcut to log off. Right click on your desktop, select "new" then "shortcut", in the box paste the following: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
That should do the trick.

you dont need to download tweakui to ungroup. Simply, right click on the task bar, then go to "properties", then uncheck "group simiar taskbar buttons".

yea im a little tired.. i started to type that then i realised the right way and by the looks of it i didnt bother deleting what i typed
...... oops..... ill go edit

i've heard these answers before. i'm running xp corporate. and the arrows i am talking about are: open a crapload of IE winows. see the arrows that appear at the bottem right? thats what i'm talking about

Bact to Main ?: I don't mean having my own desktop and stuff. I mean a COMPLETE computer. well, not COMPLETE but so if i want winamp as my default MP3 player and musicmatch my roomate's. how would i go about doing that? i want ALMOST completely separated accounts.

how about you post a screen shot of the arrows because i have no idea what your talking about... press print screen and paste it into paint

that was just an example, beleive me i've looked through all of these damn settings and nothing relelates. i'm talking about just IE windows, i'm talking all of them

i have disabled simple file sharing and made my account private to everyone, even admins. now, i think that if i make all of the other accounts that way they can't interact with eachother? but then this might create problems so i dunno

Are far as the arrows on the bottom right corner. Those are programs in your start menu. You have to disable them from start up for them to disapear. Each softeware will be different but for the most part right click on the icon and either disable or go to it's properties menu. Some programs will apear there when in use. As for your second question, you'll probably have to get more computers. Some software (if built for XP) will give you the option to run for current user only, like MSN Messenger. Most software will not give you that option. XP is designed to run that way but the software must support it. Current Microsoft products should support that feature but most other don't. Not yet anyway. I've never tried this so I dont know if it'll work. Make sure the other user DO NOT have administrative right. Then try to change the default MP3 player. If it lets you it should only change it for that user. If you change the default MP3 player from an administrative account it will usaully change it for everyone.

t3ngu, check out my screen capture on page 1, then you'll know what i'm talking about

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back