please help me DECIDE ON A LAP.

The specs look good, it mentions a warranty on the site, and there are some pretty decent reviews by c|net, PCWorld etc. of their desktop machines, if you look under the 'Awards' section.

yah i was thinking the same. just wondering if anyone here has even heard of them before.

thanks for the reply netryder

buy a dell laptop with complete care accidental coverage...

save yourself the hassle of techsupport/hardware tech exchanges and replacements in case of drops and stuff...

as far as laptops go. what is the better neich. AMD of Intle? using price/power ratio.

Same question but with ATI's and Nvidias (newer lap cards)

i dont want this to be a flaming war. i just want input pros&cons.

iv been looking all over and i cant find a direct comparison against a variety of laptops. Anyone run across something like this?

buy a dell laptop with complete care accidental coverage...

i am considering this. But deal means im locked into so many things. (intel) (junk software~ im gona reformate and put on Xp pro as soon as i get it anyways)

im sorry i dont mean to beat this all to death. im just trying to make a educated decision. thanks again anyone who spends there time giving input.

pentium m processor based setup == ace... excellent power consumption - raw performance power ratio

if you don't want junk on your laptop you can consider checking and seeing if either your school or your university has a special setup with dell whereby you might be able to get a package...

check out some of the current deals of the week through dell as well where you get a free Dell DJ with some notebook bundles...

I agree wrt some of the junk that comes on the systems but you can easily uninstall a lot of it :)

I am loving my inspiron 600M and I know Net likes his and his dads...

wrt gfx cards... ati mobile solutions generally consume less power than nvidia's but both are reasonably powerful... the latest previewed cards from ati are the cream of the crop but dont' look to them in a mobile setup thats lightweight...

I don't think pre-installed apps should be a reason to turn you away from the Dell notebooks. The nice thing about Dell is that they send you a regular OEM XP CD and separate installation media for all the other software rather than recovery disks like many others send you. So you can just format it and reinstall a clean copy of XP right after you get it.

Like Sazar said, the Pentium-M CPUs are fantastic. I'd honestly have to say they are the best processors for the mobile market right now. Low power consumption and high performance (my dad's Dothan 1.6 feels snappier than my 2.4GHz P4 in most cases)

Regarding the ATi/nVidia choice - I don't think I'm in the best position to answer this since I'm not a gamer. All I can say is my 5100 has an ATi Mobility Radeon 7500, and it works nicely for everything I do (S-Video Out etc.). I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem with the nVidias either.

Sazar said:
I know Net likes his and his dads...
No doubt about it. Both very nice machines.
smile.gif

what the best comparison of the pent M proccesses say the pent 1.8 to a athlon lap procc? any ideas.
thanks btw sazar

I don't think pre-installed apps should be a reason to turn you away from the Dell notebooks. The nice thing about Dell is that they send you a regular OEM XP CD and separate installation media for all the other software rather than recovery disks like many others send you. So you can just format it and reinstall a clean copy of XP right after you get it.

the problem is that i have to have Xp pro. and if i wanted that shipped with a noetbook it would cost me more. I have a legal copy of it. thats one of the big reason i dont want software. hehe.

i will look uinto the university i wonder if i can get a deal on a dell through them.. hmm.

its difficult to compare sraycoz...

my pentium 1.6M is definitely slower than my a64 d'top processor @ full speed... but it also drops nicely to lower speeds to conserve power when unplugged... lower clocks than my a64 in C 'n' Q mode w/o really losing snappiness...

it also has very low power draw v/s an AXP or p4 setup... I have not used a mobile a64 setup unplugged so I have not witnessed how the performance fares...

I doubt there would be a massive difference though

---

you can also probably install xp Pro over xp home edition if you wanted to... it should allow you the option of upgrading from Home :cool:

sazzar can you explain this
C 'n' Q mode w/o really losing snappiness...

was looking at this. on dell for 2485 (before shipping and tax.)

# Inspiron 9200

Catalog Number / Description Product Code SKU Id
Inspiron 9200:
Intel® Pentium® M 755 Processor (2GHz/400MHz FSB) GBM20HN [221-6545] 1
LCD Panel:
17" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display 17UXGA [320-3901] 2
Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home WHXP [420-4766][412-0408][412-0689][463-2282][420-4928] 11
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options:
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support ST111RR [950-9057][950-3337][950-3550][412-0361][960-2780] 29
Memory:
1GB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz 2 Dimm 1GB2D [311-3716] 3
Video Card:
128MB ATI's™ Mobility Radeon™ 9700 ATI128 [320-4045] 6
CD ROM/DVD ROM:
24X CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive with Sonic RecordNow 24COMBO [313-2580][430-1050] 16
Hard Drive:
60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive 60GB72 [341-0971] 8
Primary Battery:
80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 9BAT [312-0283] 27
Document Management:
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0 ADOBER [430-1048] 15
Dial-Up Internet Access:
6 Months of America Online Membership Included AOLDHS [412-0585][412-0625][420-3224][412-0687] 37
Wireless Networking Cards:
FREE Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps) IP2200P [463-4519] 19
Productivity Software:
Productivity Pack including WordPerfect® ICORELM [412-0714] 22
Security Software:
No Security Subscription NS [412-0755] 25
Digital Music:
Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning software MMBASE [412-0741] 26
Digital Imaging or Digital Photography:
Paint Shop™ Pro® Studio trial, Photo Album™ Starter Edition DPS [412-0744] 38
LCD/Color Kits:
Mediterranean Blue QuickSnap™ Cover MEDBLUE [310-6199] 60
# Dell 720 Color Printer

Catalog Number / Description Product Code SKU Id
Dell Color Printer 720:
Free Dell Color Printer 720 FREE720 [255-0071] 1
Hardware Support Services:
1Yr Ltd. Warranty , 1 yrTechnical Support , 1 yr Advance Exchange AE1YR [902-7040][960-4638][960-2840] 29

www.pctorque.com

Sager 4750, exact same laptop i've bought from them have the exact same configuration and warrenty is there 2 haven't read the whole thread but jus posted to get this in as soon as i cud for u check it out if u want n if u want more info email me or something

c 'n' q == cool n quiet...

my processor == 2.2ghz but in CnQ mode it drops automatically to 800mhz unless an app demands more power...

a lot like the speedstep or powernow features in notebooks..

sraycoz said:
was looking at this. on dell for 2485 (before shipping and tax.)

# Inspiron 9200
There's a $350 off coupon on that, so you would be able to get it for $2135, which is well within your budget. :)

I'd also suggest upgrading the warranty beyond 1 year though (I have 3 years on mine). These are reliable machines, but it's always good to keep on the safe side.

NetRyder said:
There's a $350 off coupon on that, so you would be able to get it for $2135, which is well within your budget. :)

I'd also suggest upgrading the warranty beyond 1 year though (I have 3 years on mine). These are reliable machines, but it's always good to keep on the safe side.

you can either go with a coupon or with a discount through the affiliates program and get a flat percentage taken off...

entirely up to you :cool:

sraycoz...

regardless of the system... make sure you get a decent warranty... on site if possible and if they cover accidental drops or spills or anything like that too...

my favourite.. and almost got one... Sony S2VP

Pentium M 2Ghz Centrino
1GB RAM
80GB HD
DVD +/- RW
Wireless G
Bluetooth
Ethernet LAN

honestly speaking... sony's are over-priced POS's...

you can buy a similar product for far less w/o the sony label on it..

besides the price, they are decent laptops... contradiction of terms I know, but I am sure you all know what I mean ;)

yup... i agree that sony products are over-priced.

but no other company can make laptops that are 2cm think. probably they can... if they threw all their money into it.

toshiba and apple and dell all make ultra portable and extremely slimline notebooks...

you over-estimate the power of sony.. the general notebook design is sold by about 4 companies... that design (consider it the base units) is taken and developed into what you see on display...

why else do you think so many notebooks look so damn similar :D

much of what sony can do can be done by other system builders...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back