Please Help!! Explorer Constant Crash, when trying to open a window

E

Enforcer

This problem has been driving me ABSOLUTELY crazy. I am about to reformat, but please, if you can help, tell me!

Whenever I use my computer after a reboot, I can open ONE window, whether it be MY COMPUTER, or a folder from my desktop. After that, whenever I try to open anything else that is a window, I get this message:
"windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, if this persists please restart your computer" I click for more info on the problem and it says that there is something wrong with ftapp.dll

Then when i hit the close button, I get another error saying internet explorer has crashed, and I need to restart. WHY can I only open one window without a problem. I have tried reinstalling IE 6 and that dosen't help. I dont have room to go into all that I have tried, but please, if you know anything about this problem let me know!!

SPECS:
Win XP Prof
Pentium 1.3
256 Ram

XP pro or Home?? ....... have you installed any new programs when did it start?? .......... have you tried a system restore point go back to a point when it was ok ??...............

XP Pro.

The last thing I installed was Soldier of Fortune 2. It runs fine, so does the rest of my programs. Its just the damn windows. ugh! hhaa anyway,

I have tried a system restore point, but the problem is still there. ANy ideas?

Nope, no imesh.

This has happened ONCE before, and someone told me to remove explorer from windows components, and reinstall it. I did that and it worked for a few weeks. Now the problem is back, and I did the same again. This time the reinstall didnt work.

any ideas?

Get a copy of adaware and see if it will clean up your problem. It looks like some ad popup crud according to this.

Run adaware. It will probably pick up ftapp.dll. Have a look here and here .

Edit: beat me to it Lonman. :)

omg, get this crap. I cant click on that THIS tag, it causes that message to come up...wtf!!!

ok now we are getting somewhere , where can I adaware???

The problem is gone, is there anyway to delete ftapp.dll because it has write protected itself.

??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back