Please help! Athlon Xp problem

S

sabwafare2001

Please forget my other post because it was described wrong. I orginally had a Athlon 1.0Ghz T-Bird. Today my new Athlon Xp 1800+ arrived and when I put everything together and turned it on, the lights on the cdrom flashed, the fans powered up, the hard drive and the power LED stayed on, but the system did not beep. Also there was no signal to the monitor, as if it was in sleep mode. I reseated the video card, and the same happened. I cleared CMOS, and still the same thing. So I decided to put my old cpu back in to see if flashing the BIOS to the lastest version would make it work. I put the new cpu back in and the same still happened. I'm using a 300W power supply and will get a 400W in a couple of days. Whenever I put my old cpu in everything works perfectly. Could the problem be with the power supply, meaning do I have enough power to use the Athlon XP 1800 or is it just my cpu. So now I had to put my old cpu in so I could come to see if I could get some help

300W
+3.3V = 20A
+5V = 30A
+12V = 10A
+5VSB = 2A
-5V = 0.5A
-12V = 0.8A

ECS K7S5A
AMD Athlon 1.0Ghz T-bird
256MB PC2100
80GB IBM 7200rpm, 20GB 5400rpm
Lite-on 24x10x40
Lite-on dvd 16x
Video Magic 64mb Video card
300W power supply

Power supply

I have exactly the same config, MB and Pro, and my power supply is 250 W.

May be the Proc ?

I flashed it when I put my old cpu in, then I put the new cpu (Athlon XP 1800) back in.

You didn't put too much pressure on the HSF when you placed it on your cpu did u? I did that with my Duron 900 last week:rolleyes: , and I had to replace it, so I spent a bit extra and upgraded to a XP2100+ and new mobo.

Should you need to set a multiplier?

AMD's post K6-2/3 processors are multiplier-locked, the CPU/Motherboard should have set the multiplier automatically on first boot, unless the processor has been unlocked (which I doubt). Any other ideas anyone?

I don't believe you can set the multiplier with my board.

Mobo ?

Couldn't it be the mobo that's not compatible with Athlon XP ? Honestly, I don't know your mobo nor its specs...

And, as Daedalus mentioned, your cpu might as well be damaged...

I only see these two possibilities.

For history:
I had quite the same problem some times ago, when I tried to install a P///600E (Coppermine), to discover that the mobo could handle cpu up to 800 Mhz (x8 multiplier available) but not Coppermine cores because, I think, of voltages. So I had to refund this cpu and stay with my aging PII 400. Until I bought a new mobo (Asus P3V4X),...

I now drive an Athlon XP 1800+, and am quite happy with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back