Please Help A Networking dummie

L

Lystat

Hello,
i need some help if possible...i have 2 pc's, 1 running xp home and 1 running 2kpro ..both have the network cards. i was told that if i buy a hub then i could share internet connection and share files printers ect..i cant seem to get it to work..i connected my cable modem to my hub then the 2 comps to my hub..

problem number 1: only 1 pc can access the internet..i know that the cards in each pc work cuzz if i go direct from cable modem to pc it works fine but when connected to the hub it wont let both pc's access the internet..

problem number 2: i cant get both comps to chare files or anything ive done all the wizards and crap, and enabled all the sharing folders and printers stuff but im lost with this, i know im screwing it up somehow but i dont know how, therfore i cant fix it

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!

Thanx in advance!!!

Problem 1 Answer:

In order to get both PC's to connect, you need an internet connection sharing device. The reason is because most cable ISP's provide only one IP address. This means that only one PC can gain an IP address to use to travel over the internet. You will need to either setup internet connection sharing on one of the two PCs (that PC will have to be on for the other machine to access the net) or you will have to get an Internet Gateway device such as a SOHO router.

Problem 2 Answer:

The easiest way to share the files for a beginner is to use the Home Networking Wizard that comes with Windows XP. To access it, click on "My Network Properties' and then click on Home Networking Wizard on the left toolbar. Once you setup the connection using the wizard, run the same wizard on the Windows 2000 machine (make a disk to do it). Make sure you use the same Workgroup. This will enable file sharing over the devices.

What is a SOHO router? is that a specific router i need or will any router do.. kinda lost me on the SOHO part???

What is a SOHO router? is that a specific router i need or will any router do.. kinda lost me on the SOHO part???

Small Office Home Office = SOHO.

I use a 4 port Lynksys, and it is great, allows both puters acces to net, file sharing, printer sharing etc.

GraLk

netgear router. easily programmable, web interface, much easier than lynksys

Originally posted by Reg

The easiest way to share the files for a beginner is to use the Home Networking Wizard that comes with Windows XP. To access it, click on "My Network Properties' and then click on Home Networking Wizard on the left toolbar. Once you setup the connection using the wizard, run the same wizard on the Windows 2000 machine (make a disk to do it). Make sure you use the same Workgroup. This will enable file sharing over the devices.

Well i ran all the wizards and did the part where xp makes a disk for ur other comps to set it up but it wont work with win2k only 95,98,me,xp..im so lost here lol .. i have everything connected right(i think) i ran the wizards on both pc's but win2k pc wont detect the xp pc or visa versa

I use a 5 port linksys switch to share my cable internet connection between 2 comps. I do not have to have both computers on to access the internet and I did not buy an extra IP from the ISP.

Well, I know what the problem is, but trying to fix the problem will be tough on your end. I'll start from the SOHO thing:

Basically, as GraLk said, SOHO stands for Small Office Home Office. Products that are specified as SOHO are made to accomidate people who do not or will not have all the technical experience needed to successfully deploy a network. Some of the routers out there include the Linksys (I've used it, I use Cisco now since I get them for good prices), Netgear, SOHOWear, etc.

Your problem has to deal with the fact that one machine has an IP address and one does not. In order for one machine to communicate with the other over NetBIOS (you don't need to know what that is technically. It's basically a protocol that Windows uses to communicate between other Windows machines), each machine will need an IP address of some sort. If you plan to use your hub, run the wizard on the XP machine and choose the option "This computer is directly connected to my modem (the first option on top)." This should setup Internet Connection Sharing. Then, turn on your Windows 2000 computer. Once logged on, click START, RUN, CMD. Then type IPCONFIG. The IP Address you see should be something like 192.168.0.XXX. If not, rerun the wizard. Once the Windows 2000 machine and Windows XP machine have IP addresses, try run the wizard on Windows 2000 choosing the option "This Computer Connects Via A Gateway." If you can not run the wizard, you will need to manually create a username and password on your Windows 2000 machine that is exactly the same as the username and password used to login to your Windows XP machine (Most people run Windows XP loginless. If you do, your username is the Name listed when you click start. Leave the password blank unless your username has a password).

I hope you can understand this. Let me know if you need more help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back