Please expert help with my XP problem (I have no "Power Schemes)

O

oakland

Professionals out there. This has to be the freakiest problem I have experianced in XP Pro yet. I did a search on the internet and Microsoft's support site but found no support info to help me out. I have no "Power Schemes" so under power in the Screensaver section I have no way to adjust my monitor shutdown settings hardrive, standby, hibernate etc.. and under the save as and delete section I can type nothing. I do not know what happen, one day it was there and the next nothing! I am running a P4 machine that has the latest bios etc. BTW I checked all my bios settings made sure my APCS settings were enabled, but again nothing changed to cause the corruption as far as I know. I hpoe it does not mean a fresh install here b/c that would be very painful. Thanks in advance to those willing to provide me with support.

get xteq x-setup and goto hardware>system settings>computer role and set it to anything and that might restore the proper options

Open up your Registry to this point:-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Look in the right side for "NoDispScrSavPage" and give it a Data Value of 0

(thats a number zero)

Hey Dirk thanks for replying so quickly. Went into the registry exactly where you told me to, but under policys there is no sub folder "policys" only subfolder I find in there is Explorer. please advise.

OK that was a 98/ME tweak that happens to work in XP.

This is the Key you would have to go to:-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

However it may be a darn sight easier to open the Group Policy Editor and make your way here:-
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display
In the right side double-click "Hide the Screen Saver tab" and tick "Disabled"

Having just re-read your first post, I think you can get to the Screen Saver tab so my post above is useless to you.
Try opening the Group Policy Editor to here:-
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel

In the right pane, double-click Hide specified control panel applets.

In the "List of disallowed Control Panel applets" show box, you should see:-
power options.

If its there remove it.

Dirk for the life of me I cannot find "Group Policy Editor" or how to get there. Is it under Control Panel > Computer Managment? Please advise.

Group Policy Editor is only available in Pro. To get there type gpedit.msc from Start - Run.

Click the "Start" button, click "Run..." and type:-
GPEDIT.MSC
and click "OK"

Dirk it is not there :( now what. I really apprecite your help, please don't give up LOL.

Dirk just to reiterate, I can see power options, but it will not allow me to edit it, the power options is blank, and all the settings as far as timing next to monitor shutdown harddisk, hibernate, is blank. Also at ehtop- of the left coner it says "Unknown"

Dirk I took a pic of my screen to let you see it. PM me your email and I send it ove to you to analyze. If you like???

OK more difficult than I thought.
Can you get to this point in your Registry:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power

If you can, can you see anything in the right panel ?

yes i see:

acpolicy
acprocessorpolicy
dcpolicy
etc...

down to:

hiberpageswritten

I notice you have the entry "hiberpageswritten" in there, so can I assume you have Hibernation enabled. I have never and will never use this, so I'm wondering if this has taken control of your power options. Perhaps someone who has used it can say whether it does or not.
Do you have any Binary information in the Data fields of all the AC and DC names ?

Yes there is binary Info. As far as Hibernation yes it is a waste of disk space IMHO, but I just enabled it to try and help fix the problem.

Would you recommed deleting the binary data in the hope the OS will replace it with correct info via restart?

I would do it without hesitation, but I can't recommend that action for others.

Perhaps using X-Setup may get you what you want, it changes this area of the Registry:-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\CurrentPowerPolicy

The options are:-
Enter 0 for Home/Office Desk.

Enter 1 for Portable/Laptop.

Enter 2 for Presentation. (Win2000 Only)

Enter 3 for Always On.

Enter 4 for Minimal Power Management. (Win2000 Only)

Enter 5 for Maximum Battery. (Win2000 Only)

Unfortunatly I tried that earlier with no results.

What I did now was to export the binary date to the desktop so that I may restore it in case of errors. I have to hope that modifying this info will not hindewr starting up the PC...
Should Ikeep my fingers crossed?

I would make sure System Restore is operational and make a restore point then do the deed.

Well Dirk still no luck, deleted all the binary data in every field. Restarted the PC (thank God it restarted) then used X-setup to tweak it to home/desktop, checked the binary data and everthing had been re-writen to except the Hibernation fields, but its disabled so no surprize there.

Well what do you think? You have any friends you can ask, I have tried my limited resources, thats why I am here...

Cheers,
Dirk

Dirk one more thing. When this area I am having problems with is normal, you can write in the field and modify things like home/desktop and change it to IE home/home by just changing the words? Wel in my case I cannot change the words. So my question is how can we enable that area to be written too? Maybe enabling that are or normalizing it will help the other area, or am I way off?

I have a couple of thoughts if I may. You said one day it was there and the next it wasn't. I've never been one to believe in spontaneous combustions, so normally I'd think something happened. Did you not install any new hw or sw between the last time it worked and now? If not, here's what I'd do - and the order in which I'd do them:

• Full Virus Scan
  • Run SpyBot
  • Do a selective startup from msconfig, disabling everything from starting with the OS. If your power options are there, then start adding things back one at a time until the problem recurs and you'll have identified the culprit.
  • If a selective startup does not solve the problem I'd suggest a system restore to a time just before the problem started.
  • If that doesn't do it, I'd do a Repair Installation of XP. Boot to the XP CD and select the second repair option about four screens in (the first repair option would put you at the Repair Console).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back