Please expert help with my XP problem (I have no "Power Schemes)

To tell you the truth I do not know when I lost it until recenlty. The funny thig is the monitor still goes into standby after 10 minuites, the original settings, efven though you do not see it in the power ssaving mode field. Also the bios is NOT controoling the monitor. These are the original settings I had set it to. I have run spybot daily. Virus scan is done once a day with the most recent dat files, I use Mirc so I must keep the PC on the up and up. I also run a trojan check every day. As far as system restore I would not know when to restore it to. But I will try the repair process.

Thank you for your input.

Just be sure to bypass the first repair option and select the second one two screens later (Press "R"). XP will install on top of itself, replacing damaged or missing system files. It will not overwrite the registry so, assuming you follow the process correctly, no programs will need to be reinstalled.

K Allen will give it a shot. Thanks. I'll elt you know tomorrow cause I assume this is gonna take some time.

Cheers
:)

My problem is solved!!!! But as you see today is Sunday and it it did not take 30 minutes, sorry Allan but seriously, thanks for trying to help. I tried the repair process before both the console and the secound option after the F8 key. I have been sucessful with the seocnd many times in the past troubleshooting other PC's, but mine gave me the dreaded Blue death screen aftre restart. And no matter what I tried changing in the bios it did not help. I even tried the Repair Console and tried creating a TMP sys config file and deleting the corrupted one if it even was corrupted who the heck know what it did in the first repair attempt but it was not good. So how did I fix the problem you my be asking??? Well enough of the suspence, I reinstalled windows!!! But first i used a standby Xp installation of a backup 4 gig hard drive i have. I changed the original windows directory to windows1 then cut a pasted it to a new directory. This left me 5.5 gig on a 20 gig partition. I then reinstalled Win XP keeping the original NTSF partition intact. So I did not loose any data and I am in the process of rebuilding. So off I go to completing the rebuild process I will check in later. Thanks again to all that responed especially Dirk, Cheers to you!!!

BTW: THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!! :D

oakland - Of course I'm delighted for you that you've solved the problem but I am concerned about the blue screen during the repair. It wasn't hardware related, was it? Anyway, sorry I wasn't of more help.

No Allen I do not believe it was hardware. I have not changed any hardware. My system has been the same for months. Sometime in the Stop Blue screen is asks you if you changed hardware or to disable certain settings in the bios such as (i think) video cacheing etc. But nothing changed in the bios. Anyway I after repeated attempts to restart and failing to do so, I went into the bios and disables some settings in the hopes it would work, but to no avail.

Now no need to appologize, I had a feeling after all the attempts to repairing it and not suceeding, I was going to have to wipe it clean, so you just helped me get over that hump, lol. So now its a clean slate and no data lost, except my Microsofts Works 2002 calender data which I am trying to retrieve/restore right now.
Any ideas?? It has an import function and is looking for a .vcs extension file but I have had no success in find such a file. I have all the folders from the old OS.

Thanks Allen :)

BTW: this is fun isn't it?? :p
Het this is the best way for me to learn, crashing my PC!!!

Sorry, I use Office/Outlook XP not Works, though I'd suggest checking "Advanced" and then the "Hidden" and "System Files & Folder" options when searching (not that a calendar file should be hidden - if you can't find it otherwise....).

Glad you got it sorted oakland, unfortunately like Allan I don't use Works, so I can't help either.
I'm sure if you post the question as a new thread it will be resolved quicker.

SOLUTION- quick & easy

I followed a thread on Tom's Hardware-
Hit Start/Run/cmd.
then type at the command prompt "powercfg/ RestoreDefaultPolicies",
and hit Enter.
It should be OK now- worked for me.

I'll leave your post but please check post date before replying to threads.

dunno, should see if Guiness book of records has an entry for oldest forum thread resurrected since publication began :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back