PlayStation 3 to Change E3

Re: Playstation 3 Launch and Specs

I have to say this looks good - and I may actually get one (which is a first since I'm a PC Gamer purely at heart)

onimkron said:
I'm not sure on what to say about game development times. People complained that the ps2's specs were weak, especially the Vram and other hardware specs in comparison to its competitors. Now it's actually got beefy specs, people are complaining that it's too much? :suprised:
It all comes down to if your willing to pay for "muscle" that isn't going to be used. They could make each one a mini DeepBlue but unless you have a game(s) that take advantage of that you just wasted X amount of $'s.

Re: Playstation 3 Launch and Specs

Un4gIvEn1 said:
Goodbye XBox 360...

Bit premature don't you think? :)

Also, I merged your "PlayStation 3 Launch and Specs" thread lancer, there's no need for another one ;)

it looks like an alien console. i like xbox 360's design better but of course sony is an overall better company so i will probably buy their product to match my cell phone and other gadgets

You're buying a console based on how well it matches your cellphone?
blink.gif

I have two things to say:

1.) 1080p

2.) Blu-Ray Disc Format

But, I'll probably end up with the PS3 and Revolution.

NetRyder: Yep, he is buying it just because it's a Sony.

vivid_vibe: I don't think 1080p is the minimum requirement that Sony has for developers, so not all games will support it. It is a nice feature to have tho.

Grandmaster said:
vivid_vibe: I don't think 1080p is the minimum requirement that Sony has for developers, so not all games will support it. It is a nice feature to have tho.
I've read that the majority of HDTV's can't handle 1080p, and some that say they do don't really. :(

Xie said:
It all comes down to if your willing to pay for "muscle" that isn't going to be used. They could make each one a mini DeepBlue but unless you have a game(s) that take advantage of that you just wasted X amount of $'s.

I thought maybe the issue was based on gaming production rather than consumers buying the ps3, because regardless of the cost, there's bound to be a large interest in it. Maybe game producers willl slowly develop games to utilise its full potential, much like the ps2 and its predecessor :)

For the consumer though, it's going to be a very hard choice..there's just so many quality looking titles for each console, it'll be agonising to choose the first one to spend money on :D

onimkron said:
Maybe game producers willl slowly develop games to utilise its full potential, much like the ps2 and its predecessor :)
Yeah I think games (good ones) are going to take MUCH longer to develop for this gen then any before as so much more is expected from game devs. If people feel games aren't making good use of the crazy hardware it could get ugly.

Xie said:
I've read that the majority of HDTV's can't handle 1080p, and some that say they do don't really. :(

It's usually only 720p or 1080i, mostly thanks to Panasonic and Sony and their HD cameras.

Melon

melon said:
It's usually only 720p or 1080i, mostly thanks to Panasonic and Sony and their HD cameras.
Yeah, but I've read that some HDTV's are claiming to be 1080i able and are infact dropping lines so that it's actually 720p.

Imagine all the road race games with all the background imagery and all that movement and detail in the pits, on the tracks and when they crash and parts go flying.

gonaads said:
Imagine all the road race games with all the background imagery and all that movement and detail in the pits, on the tracks and when they crash and parts go flying.

It's possible, but only if the cars aren't real as car manufacturers don't like developers allowing gamers to damage their cars :p

*PA system clicks on*
"Oooooh he hits the wall on turn 3. Gonna have to limp into the pits and see what the crew can do. Oooooh he just hit the "easy" button, he's back on the track flat out. Well no wonder, his car is sponsored by Staples" :p

Xie said:
Yeah, but I've read that some HDTV's are claiming to be 1080i able and are infact dropping lines so that it's actually 720p.

I wouldn't doubt it. My point was that the video cameras that shoot the HD content to be aired on HDTV are usually 1080i (Sony) or 720p (Panasonic). Even then, a lot of filmmakers prefer 720p, because it gives them more freedom of movement, whereas 1080i creates spectacular stills, but lesser quality movement.

Melon

You guys are always uderestimating Nintendo. They've stated that they will launch the revolution at almost exactly the same time as the PS3 (they learned their mistake the first time). I've seen pictures of it at shacknews and some of the stuff it can do seems pretty cool to me:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2005-05-17-revolution_x.htm

my favorite quote: "It's not all about having 'turbo power," Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan says. "It's about what you do with it."

Downloading any nintendo game from the past, that's just fantastic.

And there's also this mysterious, unconfirmed video that fit's the description of the 'very unique controller' to a tee:
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=28395&category=gamers

But hey, I'm a Nintendo fan boy and I always have been, so I'm VERY biased.

I just hope the technology will actually be used in a purposeful, and 'creative' manner...it would also be nice to see a wider range of third-party developers as well. Zelda and Mario are good and all, but a few key gems that aren't developed by Nintendo would be nice :)

Edit: Is there any chance of the PS3 or even the Revolution changing (aesthetic-wise) before it's actually released? Some changes were made to the DS last time around.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back