Playing and burning cda-files on a network ?

S

Sweens

Hello,

I made a small home network witch 2 computers. One has a cdrom-drive, the other a recorder-drive.

It is now possible to "play" and burn files from the cdrom-drive to the recorder. But....only for data.

It won't work for audio-cd's !! I cant play the cda-files on the other computer and also its not possible to copy an audio cd with the recorder.
In both, the mediaplayer and Easy CD Creator I can only see the track-files (1 kb). It is not possible to play or burn the music.

Is there a way to solve this problem ??

Both puters with XP;
All codecs installed;
Connected with crosslink UTP;
Protocol is TCP/IP
Made shared cdrom-drive and recorder-drive vissible for the other puter with a drive letter. They also show up in the Mediaplayer and recorder.

Thanx and greetings

Nah, I don't think you can stream CD-audio over a network like that. It's a bit special. You'll have to dump the tracks into .wav files first. Then you can burn them over the network.

.cda files aren't actually the audio on a cd, they're just references to data points on the disc.

So i think as Zedric has suggested, wav files will be easiest. :)

Although you mite have a 10 or 100mbit network speed, they are quite hard to get music to stream, mine is a new 100mbit network with a switch and it don't stream too good :(

Skazz

Thanks for the replies !!

Thats a shame. It would have been fun to do it on the fly.

Does anyone know why there is this difference in writing between audio- and normal data on a network ?

Thanks again & greetings

Like I said, it's a bit special. Normally CD-Audio is taken via the 4-pin CD-audio cable directly to the soundcard and out. It's never transported as a digital stream that can be redirected somewhere. In XP the IDE cable is used instead, but the stream still cannot be diverted (compatability?).

However, when dumping audio tracks it's done differently. It could be theoretically possible to dump the tracks on the fly over a network (like it's done locally when you copy an audio CD) but I've never seen programs that can do this. I think it would require some work from the computer hosting the CD.

I hope this clears things up. :)
And that it's not wildly wrong... :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back