Plastic Melted On AMD 1400 CPU

P

poser

Does anyone know if that little plastic sticker, that is on the bottom of heatsinks, is supposed to melt on to the cpu? My computer is like 4 months old and has always froze....ALWAYS! So I took it apart and found that there was a melted plastic tape between my heatsink and cpu. Any thoughts? I was thinking about scraping it all off, and using a thermal paste and maybe a new heatsink and fan. Thanks.

i think that "sticker" is supposed to melt to actually hold the heat sink onto the processor. haven't really took notice to one before it got stuck to tell for sure.

errr... are you talking about a stock Intel Heatsink?

if so then the tape should be there... if ur talking about other heatsinks... the tape could be there to protect the heat conducting stuff and therefore u remove the tape before putting it on ur CPU... dunno... could be might not be...

Posted by mbunny
errr... are you talking about a stock Intel Heatsink?

if so then the tape should be there... if ur talking about other heatsinks... the tape could be there to protect the heat conducting stuff and therefore u remove the tape before putting it on ur CPU... dunno... could be might not be...

/me now knows that mbunny is HIGH lol....

Plastic Melted On AMD 1400 CPU lol... what does that tell you bunny man :)

sorry m8.. I just needed a rise...

ok now to the problem... I never knew about cpu's having plastic thingers @ the bottom of em... none that I have worked on that were installed with a plastic thing between the hsf and the cpu..

peel it off if you can w/o damaging the cpu and do what the others said... apply arctic silver and you are good to go...

if it is not peeling off the hsf/or is peeled and leaves a rough surface... just go ahead and get a new heatsink... not worth damaging :)

Hopefully the "plastic" is not really plastic, but that heat transfer pad many heatsinks come with. If it really is plastic, then it was probably there to protect the heat transfer material until installation and should DEFINATELY have been removed before installation of the heat sink!!!

Plastic has VERY poor heat transfer properties and would explain why you had lockups.

Either way, carefully scrape off (and use 91% alcohol to clean) whatever is one the heatsink and CPU and use Arctic Silver, it's simply the best way to go!

Posted by Hipster Doofus
Get it right gonaads. It's Arctic Silver. :p
Check out the second picture down. :eek:

My keyboard only lets me use one "c" per senten e... <-- SEE! told-ya. :p

ooo I should have know better. ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Well mine works OK. You can have some if you want. Here ya go. ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Thank you now I cccccccan... Oh Sh!t it's out of cccccccccontrol!!! Stop this cccccccrazy thing!:p

BANG! BANG! BANG! Aaah there, Damn stupid Clones. :D

Go get some sleep gonaads.
S-rolleyes.gif

wouldnt that have sucked if when her got the cpu cooler he didnt take the little plastic off the bottom of the cpu cooler that protected the thermal tape..... that would blow lol

I used to have a piece of wax paper between this pink gummy stuff and my CPU. I later found out that the pink stuff was the thermal paste.
Now what I have is a ThermalTake Volcano 7+ with Arctic Silver thermal compound between the CPU and Heatsink. It is nice and cold now.

With the old paste and paper it was running aroud 60C normal load.

If you had removed the wax paper off the pink gummy stuff it probably would have dropped it down 20 Degrees. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back