Plasma Question

Techno Child

web{designer}
Hi everyone!

Quick question: I have a completely dark room that was used as a projector room so brightness is not an issue ... If I set up a plasma screen (approx 42") how long will it be until it starts giving me problems? I know that LCD would be the better choice, but I need the size and low cost of a plasma in this particular application.

Cheers!
-tc

Pros
  • Slim, wall-mountable design
  • Larger maximum practical size than LCD screens
  • Wider viewing angle than LCD screens and better color consistency throughout this range
  • Better contrast ratio than LCD, though LCDs are improving rapidly
  • Faster response time than LCD, though LCDs are improving rapidly
Cons
  • PDPs are fragile, making them difficult to ship and install.
  • Expensive, although currently cheaper than LCDs per unit of size at larger sizes.
  • Older panels were notoriously subject to burn-in, although due to improvements in phosphors, this effect is largely caused by polarization of the gas particles in modern panels and can often be reversed by leaving the screen on a "snow" or static channel for an hour. Some home theater afficionados claim that, while burn-in is less likely now than in the past, it is still possible in some circumstances, and many plasma televisions have functions (such as "orbiting", in which the image is periodically moved imperceptibly) to minimize the problem. In any case, LCDs are not susceptible to permanent burn-in.
  • The display is brightest during its first 2000 hours. Thereafter, the display gradually dims. LCD backlights exhibit dimming as well, but they are replaceable, while a plasma display has reached the end of its life when its brightness has declined enough. A plasma display cannot be recharged since the plasma display element is a fixed pixel device with each pixel etched into the glass substrate.
  • At higher elevations, usually 6000 ft or higher, PDPs exhibit noticeable humming or buzzing.

Ehh... that's worse than a projector then since it cannot be replaced with a 200$ lamp huh? Does anyone know if there is a point in it's life where it will just turn black?

I don't know, but making a complete guess, if it peaks at 2000 hours and the life follows a bell curve, then it should be quite crappy by 4000 hours of usage.

But I have no real evidence to back that up.

regarding your question on plama life. most of them (modern ones) are 60000 hrs until half brightness. i have an older plasma and burn in can definately be an issue. meaning you shouldn't plan on playing any video games on it, but the newer ones are less succeptible so you shouldn't have to worry. the color on plasmas is better than an lcd as well so there is another pro, but makes sure to get a decent one because the cheap plasmas look horrible.

You also can't watch the scifi channel, playboy, etc a lot. Those nasty little logo's in the corner burn in nicely.

Look at a DLP set (kinda an inside out projection system but much brighter). They are thick compared to plasma and LCD but price was lower than plasma last time I looked. There is still a bulb that has to be replaced periodically (expensive, but not as bad as $200 last I heard). No burn in issues.

And don't forget the backlights in LCDs can crap out too. I know they sell replacements for laptops. Not sure about TVs. Haven't heard of any issues yet.

interesting - I am thinking aboiut making a jump to 24" for my primary display whenever I can afford a new build with relevnat high end GFX card....

What would you guys recommend in that size range for desktop use (not too much media display) and where economy is an issue (given high prices and downwards pressures recently)?

LCD would be the only way to go at that level, MFG. prices keep falling as they keep making more glass.

What would you guys recommend in that size range for desktop use (not too much media display) and where economy is an issue (given high prices and downwards pressures recently)?

No nees to go that big MFG... and reps to falcon he said what I was already going too... by the middle of next year if projections stay intact Dells new 30" monster will be roughly the cost of the 24" monitors when they first came out... about $1000 so by then you may be able to buy 2x 2407s for approx $1300

Heck the 3007 is on sale right now for $1279

CHEERS!

After my question last week, i looked into DLPs and they really seem a better deal than either LCD or Plasma.

Better picture quality, etc...

Techno, If you are placing a plasma in a room that is already dim, than you can fiddle with the settings on the plasma. Conceivably you might be able to extend the life on your plasma, because your contrast will not be set to high.

The only settings out of the box, that you would need to adjust would be to get true black in a dim setting.

Ok.. well we'll all find out pretty soon. I'm probably going to get it next week:cheeky:

Thanks for all the input guys

LCD definately.
Im sure that searching at Bestbuy you can find the same size with the same cost.

buy from newegg, far cheaper than a store.

the problem with flatscreens and newegg is that anything less than 8 pixel burnouts are not returnable :s or did they change this? The last time I ordered a screen from them it had like 5 burnt pixels and they wouldn't exchange it.

the problem with flatscreens and newegg is that anything less than 8 pixel burnouts are not returnable :s or did they change this? The last time I ordered a screen from them it had like 5 burnt pixels and they wouldn't exchange it.

Techno someone LIED to you...

unless they specifically state that in the return policy, they can not enforce it... either way, it doesnt really matter what the store thinks...

Just buy it on a credit card, and you are covered by US consumer protection laws, I.E. if you dont get what you paid for simply return it and go through the painful process of getting your money refunded..

By LAW they have no choice... so long as you are in the US of course...

You don't want to pay shipping or risk damage on a big screen DLP or Plasma (too delicate and too heavy). Some things just need to be bought locally (shudder).

You don't want to pay shipping or risk damage on a big screen DLP or Plasma (too delicate and too heavy). Some things just need to be bought locally (shudder).

Good point LeeJend...

either way buy it on a CC just to be safe...

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back