P

PHiSHnz

attached is a screenshot
of the advanced ata/somethingarather setting
it's for cd rom
i always thought DMA was better
but it gives the option of DMA or PIO for the cdroms
the os selects the "best" one apparently but yea.. not sure
just wanna know what it's on about really :)

look @ the pic anywya.. and reply :)

I just replaced a CD ROM & disconnected my DVD as they were PIO only.

Access speed suks in PIO

previously i have put it into DMA mode
but wasn't sure which was best
i noticed that too
games took ages to intall
i might just go put it in DMA now :p

heh

If i recall right, PIO mode goes 13.3 MB/second... wich is really slow, im not sure wich DMA mode they use, but UltraDMA 100 goes... 100.0MB/second
I would stick with DMA :)

I chose DMA for my CD-RW and it won't go. It just stays in PIO. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

My Plextor 12/10/32A will not use DMA Either, I have the jumper on the back enabled so it should be able to use DMA mode 2...

Also recently, when I burn a CD my PC really performs erratically, even the mouse cursor jerks!

I think it's time to format (I have had this installation on since October).

Do you have burnproof enabled? If you do, when your buffer drops, sometimes it will lag even my computer. (look at my sig) thats usually a normal thing

couple options

you might be able to turn on DMA in your BIOS

or you might need a new cable for your CD-ROM

or sometimes, just changing it from the master IDE channel to the secondary works (even though there's no good reason that would ever work)

maz4ruth,
I also have a 12/10/32a which won't go into DMA mode. I just figured it was because its "old". I didn't realize it has a jumper on it to enable this though (???). I'll look into this though. I do have mine on its own channel set to master.

Yeah GraveLayer, the jumper is to the left of the digital audio out, shorten this and DMA should be enabled...

The thing is, my BIOS recognises it as being enabled, but WinXP won't let me! :confused:

When I use my my burner, (it's the only drive on it's own channel...) whether for writing or reading, performance is bad.

I think a format and reinstall is the order of the day ;)

BTW... I think my problem could also involve VIA's 4 in 1 driver, I'll look into it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back