Ping/Tracert

Glass

sgàthan ìnnleachd
I have no firewall or anti-virus running, TCP/IP filtering is disabled, NetBios is enabled, I'm not behind a router or a hub or anything, my ethernet card is directly connected to my cable modem, but whenever I try to ping any IP or web address it times out with 100% loss. If I do a tracert of any IP or web address it will only get to the 10.*.*.* HFC IP of the cable modem and every hop thereafter times out, it doesn't even show IPs. I can surf, download, and play games just fine. Any tips on getting ping and tracert to work?

1) If you haven't, check to make sure the Windows XP built in firewall is turned off.
2) The cable modem may be set up (by your ISP) to block pings or with a firewall to protect you from the other people on your cable trunk. They have full access to your computer otherwise.
3) The ISP may be behind a firewall.

Most games, MS Messenger, etc will play just fine behind a firewall so you may not even know if you have one up. Try setting up an FTP (bulletproof) or a ventrillo chat server and see if you can connect to them. If you can't a firewall is up.

If the ISP has set up a firewall in your modem or they have one attheir end you can ask if they will disabe it. They will probably say no since it is a bad idea.

Cable broadband is very vulnerable and should be protected by a firewall. Anyone on the same cable you're on has total access to your system unless you setup a firewall and can take control of your computer and use it to attack others.

Tracert uses a different port than a regular ping. (router or ISP is blocking that port) If you want to do a tracert, there is something 'built-in' to windows called pingroute or somethign. Cant' remember the exact name. This was on a windows 2000 workstation as well... should work fine in win xp pro.

pingroute? You mean traceroute? Which is exactly what tracert is.

If you can't do either ping or traceroute and are sure that you don't have a firewall, it could be possible that your ISP is dropping certain types of ICMP packets. I also have the same problem with ping with my ISP. Once my ping reaches my ISP's routers, the router drops it, and it never gets on the internet. However, I can traceroute fine until another firewall doesn't want me to traceroute through their networks, which is very common.

LeeJend said:
1) ... Try setting up an FTP (bulletproof) or a ventrillo chat server and see if you can connect to them. If you can't a firewall is up.
or (I think) you could just try wandering into NTFS chat? :cool:

the destination IP might be behind a firewall and they are blocking ping requests. Tracert can die at a routers IP because it has been configured to do so.

My ISP blocks trace routes and some other things as well. Maybe yours does too. Who's your ISP?

silis said:
...there is something 'built-in' to windows called pingroute or somethign. Cant' remember the exact name.

I think what you are talking about is pathping.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back