PIII Xeon VS Celeron.. which is better?

dubstar

format c:
my grandma just got a Pavilion 511n, and she kinda got ripped off.. it has 32 gigs when it should have 40, and it has a PIII Xeon when it should have a celeron. its EXTREMELY slow compared to my Athlon 550mhz, I want to know if I should talk to the company who sold this to her...

thanks.

oh also, it says it has 128RAM, but its advertised to have 128SD Ram... should it say SD RAM if its SD Ram, or what.. (it said this in TweekXP Pro, Unregistered)

Well Xeon are high end chips that are usually found in servers, while celerons are bargain chips. But celeron has become a rather generic termin my opinion. the first celeron was a stripped down PII, and the newest are stripped down P4's.
So when you ask which would be better its hard to say cause I don't know what kind of celeron you're talking about, plus you failed to mention the speed of the CPU's.

Xeon n > Pentium n > Celeron

How do you know it has a Xeon CPU? They're usually craploads more expensive than Celerons..

If you got a Xeon instead of a Celeron, consider yourself very lucky :D

Originally posted by NetRyder
If you got a Xeon instead of a Celeron, consider yourself very lucky :D

I would definitely have to agree with you on that.

If the clock speed is slower on the Xeon than your Athlon then that would probably be why it is running slower but I don't know what the lowest clocked P3 Xeon would be.

I'd consider myself screwed if this happened to me.

Assuming that really is a Pentium III XEON here's the info.
http://www.intel.com/products/server/processors/server/pentiumiii_xeon/index.htm?iid=sr+xeon&
XEON only 2 clock speeds and a 100 mhz front side bus.

The celeron has a much faster front side bus and pretty much all celeron clock speeds are faster than the Penrium Xeon.

Also since the pentium III is generally a peice of bovine excrement (I wanted to see how smart the censor is) you can expect pathetic speeds. Especially in any kind of gaming. Also since the XEON is a server chip it won't be optimized for any home uses.

Was this supposed to be a new PC or something refurbished?
I can't beleive anyone built it this way for a home computer order.

CALL THEM ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHeck the video spec's too. As for the ram in a new system it should be a dimm (dual in line memory module). The old systems used simms (single in line memory modules). Both should be SD ram. The dimm is 2-3 times the size of a simm. And you should only see dimms in new pc's. The simms are dead.

BTW 128 meg of ram is not enough to run windows 2000 or xp. And barely tolerable for win 98. You should get 256 megs.

Good luck man! I'm P.O.'d for you on this. :mad:

Oopps forgot one thing the P III XEON is only 700 or 900 MHZ.

Its the P4 XEON that are SUPPOSED to be supper hot server chips.

Originally posted by LeeJend

http://www.intel.com/products/server/processors/server/pentiumiii_xeon/index.htm?iid=sr+xeon&

The celeron has a much faster front side bus and pretty much all celeron clock speeds are faster than the Penrium Xeon.

Celeron's come with either a 66mhz or 100mhz bus. Not really a much faster bus. :)

Also since the pentium III is generally a peice of bovine excrement (I wanted to see how smart the censor is) you can expect pathetic speeds. Especially in any kind of gaming. Also since the XEON is a server chip it won't be optimized for any home uses.

The p3 is a great chip, how can you say that it is bad. My tualatin celeron rocks (the tualatin celerons are basically a p3)

Dubstar - I recommend aida as well, its a great little program, I very much doubt that you got a xeon processor. I just checked tweakXP and it says I have a xeon processor too, OMG, i got lucky as well ;). I definitely think that tweakXP is wrong about this one :)

Originally posted by jumpy
Celeron's come with either a 66mhz or 100mhz bus. Not really a much faster bus. :)
Jumpy the new Celerons are stripped down P4's so they have the higher bus speeds. It's the old socket 370/slot 1 celerons that were 66/100

It says 32 Gb because it might have a small 8 gig partition.... for windows or something else. Do you have a drive c and a drive d for storage? if so, that is why only 32 gigs show up....

Originally posted by rettahc
Jumpy the new Celerons are stripped down P4's so they have the higher bus speeds. It's the old socket 370/slot 1 celerons that were 66/100

The new p4 celerons are 400mhz bus which is 100mhz quad pumped, so still kind of 100mhz bus, he he :p. You get my point, I assume it wouldn't be a p4 celeron anyway, by the looks of the speeds being compared :)

the less hardisk space is most likely caused by the mft and the mft zone; which is reserved. it is determined by size of disk but can be adjusted (not sure how):blink:

Originally posted by jumpy
The new p4 celerons are 400mhz bus which is 100mhz quad pumped, so still kind of 100mhz bus, he he :p. You get my point, I assume it wouldn't be a p4 celeron anyway, by the looks of the speeds being compared :)

and dubstar is talking about a P3 Xeon... not a P4.

I would say that the hard drive space has something to do with the differences in the way manufacturers and windows rate the capacity of a hard drive. The manufacturers base a Gb on 1000 Mb and a Mb on 1000 Kb etc. but Windows bases a Gb on 1024 Mb and a Mb on 1024 kb etc.
My Maxtor HD is rated at 80 Gb but in Windows it shows up as 74. But you should still have more than 32Gb on a HD rated at 40 so I'd think it's got something to do with partitions... ohhh... what's the file system that is currently being used? I think that fat32 only supports upto somewhere in the range of 32 Gb... maybe if you reformatted and reinstalled windows using NTFS it would show up properly.

Originally posted by XP Abuser
the less hardisk space is most likely caused by the mft and the mft zone; which is reserved. it is determined by size of disk but can be adjusted (not sure how)

The MFT won't take up 8Gb... it takes up 8 Mb. So that's not the problem.

i remember a few weeks back seeing my dads 800mhz celeron cpu being recognised as a xeon - cant remember which app i was using - think it was wcpuid.

right click "my computer" and go to "properties". It should say there the type of CPU. If it says celeron, then its what it says it is and the program you used is wrong. However, if it says Xeon, then you're a very lucky person :)

Was this supposed to be a new PC or something refurbished?
I can't beleive anyone built it this way for a home computer order.

CALL THEM ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHeck the video spec's too. As for the ram in a new system it should be a dimm (dual in line memory module). The old systems used simms (single in line memory modules). Both should be SD ram. The dimm is 2-3 times the size of a simm. And you should only see dimms in new pc's. The simms are dead.

BTW 128 meg of ram is not enough to run windows 2000 or xp. And barely tolerable for win 98. You should get 256 megs.

Good luck man! I'm P.O.'d for you on this. :mad:

I don't think grandma is going to be playing UT2003. Solitiare mabey:D

hey cruiser78 i didnt say the mft i said the reserved mft zone it kills around 3 - 6 gb of my disk space and the larger the drive the bigger the mft zone.:p

sorry its been so long, i moved houses and i dont have dsl yet.. another 3-5 days and i'll be online (hopefully)...

this is what AIDA32 says

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset Intel Whitney i810E
In-Order Queue Depth 4
CAS Latency 2T
RAS To CAS Delay 2T
RAS Precharge 2T

Integrated Graphics Controller
Graphics Controller Type Intel i752
Graphics Controller Status Enabled
Shared Memory Size 1 MB

AC'97 Audio Controller
Audio Controller Type Intel 82801AA ICH
Codec Name Analog Devices AD1885
Codec ID 41445360h

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 128 MB (PC133 SDRAM)

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation

CPU Properties
CPU Type Intel Celeron-S, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
CPU Alias Tualatin, A80530
CPU Stepping tA1
Original Clock 1300 MHz
L1 Code Cache 16 KB
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 370 Pin FC-PGA2
Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
Transistors 44 million
Process Technology 6M, 0.13 um, CMOS
Die Size 80 mm2
Core Voltage 1.475 / 1.5 V
I/O Voltage 3.3 V
Typical Power 17 - 23 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 26.3 - 34.8 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation

hmm.. since it really IS a Celeron-S .. can i overclock it?.. for Grandma of course:blink:

Nah, I think 1.3GHz is fast enough for Grandma. Besides, overclocking means less reliability (if you're not careful), more heat and possible more noice (fans 'n sh*t).

I think she'll be happy even without OC.

Originally posted by XP Abuser
hey cruiser78 i didnt say the mft i said the reserved mft zone it kills around 3 - 6 gb of my disk space and the larger the drive the bigger the mft zone.:p

sorry... I've never heard of a mft zone... my computer doesn't have one.. well at least not one that takes up Gb's of space. When I set up windows there is 8 Mb of unused space that, when I try to create a partition in it, says "This space is reserved for the MFT" or something like that.
What would the MFT zone be for and how do you see how big it is?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back