Picture viewer

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Why does the pic viewer in vista so this..it adds a weird color and ruins my pics and i cannot see the like i should...

Attachments

• why.jpg
    why.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 292
does it only happen in the picture viewer? try windows gallery? or another app like irfanview?

i am tempted to blame video card drivers

you could try and blame the video, but it would be weird how it only effects one program...

does this only happen on screent shots or lets say an image from a camera? does it show the yellow tint to it as well?

Hi,

I've had exactly the same thing - and as failurbydesign pointed out - only in this one program, the 'Preview' right-click option. The orange-yellow colour cast is the same too.

I wonder if it's graphics card drivers; since I see he's using an ATI card, whereas mine is an nVidia (GeForce 6800 Ultra). That would point to something inside Vista itself, rather than 3rd party drivers, as the only common factor - wouldn't it?

Anyway - only the second issue I've had with Vista since getting it... hopefully not many more. I also called M$ support about this one - and they seem stumped so far. I have a mail from them saying they are 'working on the issue'.

:)

B

thanks benj, video card sounds weird though, i mean i have no problems with it at all..

Hi failurbydesign,

I agree about you say about the video card - I mean I wondered about it, as in I didn't think it was the cause, in your case or mine. Different cards from different manuf., different drivers - but the same problem. So I guess that something deeper in Vista must be the common factor causing this..

If I get an answer from M$ support anytime soon over this, and it solves the problem, I'll post it here,

all best,

B

Hi,

a quick update on this issue. I had two calls today from M$ support, and it seems they're "upgrading the issue" to their "research department" - or something like that - as I remember. I also took the opportunity to mention the fact that we know the same problem can happen on two types of graphics cards - thanks to this thread :)

So we'll see what happens - as before, I'll certainly post any solution or workaround they come up with, but I get the feeling it may take some time...

til later,

B

Hi,

...after *hours* of well-meaning tech support I've had today from M$, there still isn't a resolution on this one.

And this is after nearly a week.

I won't bitch, as they're trying their best to help.

...will update more as I hear more,

B

Has to be drivers or something as I do not have this problem and friends I contacted that have Vista do not have this problem either.

Has to be drivers or something as I do not have this problem and friends I contacted that have Vista do not have this problem either.

Hi,

thanks for the feedback - it's good to know it's a rare problem, at least. My guess right now is that it's not a graphics card/graphics card driver problem (see above), and probably not a Vista problem per se - more like an unfortunate interaction between some software installed on Vista that failurbydesign and I both have, that not many people use. Whether that software is simply a device driver of some other sort or an application - who knows?

M$ will be contacting me again on Weds

all best

B

Hi all,

well M$ suggested that I do a clean re-install as a way to solve the problem. That's a good idea, and would probably work, and I would do it if I had the time. But I really don't have the time right now, so the problem remains. M$ don't know the cause of the problem or how to fix it in any other way, but they said they would get back to me as and when they do know.

So there it is. I've been in the habit of doing a clean install of Windows about once every 6 months to a year (things just get gunged up - you know what I mean?). So if the problem is still there next time I do this, I'll check the picture viewer for functionality after installing each 3rd party software, and see which one makes it go bad - and then let u all know - if I still have the will to live at that point!

best, and thanks for suggestions so far - and good luck failurbydesign,

B

i dont want to do a clean install...i dont have the time for that

Hi failurbydesign,

something just hit me - I had closer look at your screenshot - you're using the 'SyncMaster 205BW/204BW, SyncMaster Magic CX203BW/CX205BW(Digital)' monitor driver, right?

I'm using exactly the same monitor driver - my monitor is a SyncMaster 205BW!!

Almost certainly the common factor that lies at the root of this problem - don't u think?

I'll look on the net for some solution now - the Samsung site will be the first - and let u know if I find an alternative driver (or other solution)

best

B

I have a solution!!!

before looking on the net, I decided to uninstall the monitor driver (and at the same time check the option to delete it in the driver cache on the system - so it didn't come back, so to speak) and rebooted - the monitor is now classed as a 'Generic Monitor' in the advanced display properties - and the problem is solved!

hope this works for you :)

all best,

B

UPDATE: I noticed today that Windows Update tried to install an 'update' of the self-same monitor driver in question - so I suggest setting Windows Update to notify before installing, just for the time being, until M$ sort out a *correct* driver for this monitor... talk about 'Anti-Update'...

Last edited:
I had the same problem. Vista installed a driver for my monitor and it corrupted the color profile. Installing the driver from the monitors website fixed the problem.

:)

Have the same problem with my SyncMaster 940BW, will try removing the drivers.
Btw thanks for the solution, I was wondering what was causing the photo viewer to go all yellow on me.

I have a solution!!!

before looking on the net, I decided to uninstall the monitor driver (and at the same time check the option to delete it in the driver cache on the system - so it didn't come back, so to speak) and rebooted - the monitor is now classed as a 'Generic Monitor' in the advanced display properties - and the problem is solved!

hope this works for you :)

all best,

B

UPDATE: I noticed today that Windows Update tried to install an 'update' of the self-same monitor driver in question - so I suggest setting Windows Update to notify before installing, just for the time being, until M$ sort out a *correct* driver for this monitor... talk about 'Anti-Update'...

sweeeeet

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back