Picked a graphics card. What do you think?

Doom

OSNN Senior Addict
Right folks I've picked a graphics card to superseed my asus geforce 4 ti 4600. It's this one here.

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI - Retail (GX-017-SP)
RADEON™ 9800 Series of visual processors is the most visually advanced 3D performer on the planet, delivering an immersive, cinematic experience for the most demanding next-generation games with up to 256MB of DDR memory and a 256-bit memory interface. Merging advanced stability with revolutionary features, RADEON™ 9800 Series is the only Visual Processing family in its 2nd generation. Prepare yourself for the world's fastest and most compelling gameplay, courtesy of the unprecedented power, control and eight-pipeline architecture of RADEON™ 9800 Series. Experience feature film quality on your PC, the new standard in 3D entertainment. Advanced stability meets revolutionary features with support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0, OpenGL® feature sets and the only cinematic quality Visual Processing Unit in its 2nd generation. Featuring CATALYST™, the industry's most stable 3D acceleration software.

- 128MB of DDR memory provides increased performance
- 256-bit memory interface delivers the bandwidth for real-time 3D graphics
- 8-pixel pipeline architecture doubles the rendering power
- SMARTSHADER™ 2.1 supports latest Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0, enabling cinematic quality lighting and shadow effects
- SMOOTHVISION™ 2.1 delivers the sharpest, clearest textures without sacrificing frame rates
- 128-bit full floating point enables billions of color variations for same lighting and effects as Hollywood studios
- Featuring CATALYST™, the industry's most stable 3D acceleration software
- Supports the latest Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 and OpenGL® feature sets
- FULLSTREAM™ removes blocky artifacts from streaming Internet video
- VIDEOSHADER™ integrates features to provide unprecedented support for digital and high definition video

Full Specification

Price: £177.00 (£207.98 Including VAT at 17.5%)

What do you think is it worth while getting at that price and will I get a better perfomance from it? My 3d mark score at present it 11500 ish. Will that improve by much?

thats a lot of VAT you pay :eek:

but nice card...

will keep you going for a bit..

3dmark2001SE score will improve if you change the settings in the control panel :)

look in the BENCHMARKS section of the forums to compare your product...

thats a lot of VAT you pay

That the UK for you. Would you believe that if a video game in the us is lets say $30. Over here in the uk it's £30. We pay loads more than you lot do for most things.

How much is that in USD? I just bought the same card for $230. My card should get here on Monday, I can't wait.

I think I'll notice more of a difference than you though. You're upgrading from a Geforce 4 TI and I'm upgrading from a Geforce 2 MX 400 lol.

30.00 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds = 54.3239 USD
United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.81080 USD 1 USD = 0.552243 GBP

I was just looking at another one. What do you think of this one. It costs a little more but is it worth the little extra?

Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 Pro 128MB DDR & Half Life 2 Bundle - Retail (GX-017-HE)
Based on the RADEON™ 9800 PRO – the fastest, most visually advanced 3D chipset on the planet – the ultra-powerful 3D Prophet 9800 Pro graphics board features a 256-bit DDR memory interface and 8-pixel pipeline engine for the ultimate in hardcore fragging, 128MB of DDR RAM, Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0, OpenGL® hardware support, incredible core (380Mhz) and Ram (340Mhz DDR) clocks, advanced filtering technologies (Anisotropic Filtering up to X16 and Full Scene Anti-Aliasing up to 6x) for high-quality rendering without a compromise in framerates. As usual, Hercules has developed a set of customized features to exceed gamers’ already high expectations. This technological wonder will definitively transform the gaming experience of demanding users, immersing them in a world of photorealism and visual amazement.

- 380MHz core and 340 MHz DDR RAM frequencies
- Supports DirectX 9
- AGP 8X/4X/2
- Cool Blue PCB
- Unique Copper cooling system
- Heatsinks on the RAM, back of the GPU and voltage controllers
- Heatsinks fixed with Thermal Adhesive
- Silent cooling fan (< 28 dB) with blue LED
- Bundled with full version of XIII & PowerDVD
- Bundled with coupon for single player version of Half Life 2 (released 2004)

Check out this review of the Hercules 9800 Pro over at Game2XS.
http://www.game2xs.com/content.php?action=article&contentid=518

Full Specification

Price: £199.95 (£234.94 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Check the sapphire web site to see if they are still bundling the half life 2 coupons. That is the only difference between the packages PRO. The XT version only offers a marginal speed increase at a significant cost increase.

Given a choice between sapphire and hercules I'd buy the sapphire.

BTW for all those ordering the Sapphire 9800 PRO for ~$230 USD. A buddy got his on Friday and loves it. He reports a noticeable improvement in Battelfield 1942 play at full detail. He was running a 9600 Pro. Also, before he bought we got pictures of the ATI, Powercolor and Sapphire boards. They are identical. It is the same board layout and components.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back