pickafan

yea its hot here too (Miami, fl). At this point I wouldn't mind my temps below 53C. my damn computer sounds like a vacum cleaner so I wanted to remedy this on this new rig.

Try what i've done... it saved my sanity and my marriage(LOL)... umm

Get this heatsink...

rip off the fan they give you (its really REALLY loud... its almost a delta (but its not)

purchase one of these (fandaptor) very cheap and it works =)

(PS: HOW FUNKY DOES THOSE ANTEC LED FANS LOOK!!!)(follow the link for the piccies)

followed by a nice and quiet sunon which can push some nice cfm for the noise.

60-92mm is a nice way to go... but i chose the 60-80mm pathway =P

just so u know... i'm run high 40's with this setup full load... i don't know what it runs at idle... cause i've never seen my computer idle... F@H rawks my world.

nice setup. I'm trying to go with the best performance and quietness together but I'm new to this fan installation. When you say 80(or whatever)mm, you mean millimeter what?

Originally posted by mbunny
Try what i've done... it saved my sanity and my marriage(LOL)... umm

Get this heatsink...

rip off the fan they give you (its really REALLY loud... its almost a delta (but its not)

purchase one of these (fandaptor) very cheap and it works =)

(PS: HOW FUNKY DOES THOSE ANTEC LED FANS LOOK!!!)(follow the link for the piccies)

followed by a nice and quiet sunon which can push some nice cfm for the noise.

60-92mm is a nice way to go... but i chose the 60-80mm pathway =P

just so u know... i'm run high 40's with this setup full load... i don't know what it runs at idle... cause i've never seen my computer idle... F@H rawks my world.

yup im runnin one of those funky antec triled fan for my cpu cooler mounted on an akasa silver mountain2 works great and quiet(2700rpm)

mm=millimeter:)

got the antec led fan then saw this one:(
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/fan-36.html?id=SqfbHCrR

fan size =)

my hsf comes with a 60mm fan... so logically the hsf has connections only for a 60mm...

that why you have to by a fandaptor which allows you to fit say a 92mm fan onto a 60mm connection. Understand?

The beauty of the fandaptors that i got there are that they channel the air into the HSF rather than falling through (there are fandaptors out there that are just wires so the air falls around the hsf rather than into it like u want it to.)

Generally... the larger the fan... the less rpm it needs to push the same amount of cfm.

rpm = how fast the fan spins around
cfm = how much air it pushes

generally... low rpm = low noise... high rpm = high noise...

Look at the CFM rating when your shopping around then have a look at how many rpms its doing...

so you know... 41-44db is annoying... higher it gets really loud

you want mid 30's or sub 37db for sanity.

but sound is a personal choice... see what you can withstand. Some fans also have different pitch whine... as you get older your aural range decreases so high pitched whines are actually sometimes inaudible (which my grandma can be evidence to. she couldn't hear my old fan but i sure as hell could... but bear in mind she isn't deaf... she's got perfectly good hearing... she just doesn't hear overly high and overly low pitches anymore)

If you can... try and get 2 fans that have a syncing whine... the whine eliminates itself when they sync so you got just a slight whirring noise. This is such a funky sound property... My friend does this with his fans... but the problem is that it sometimes goes out of sync and you can hear the whine fade in and out as it desyncs and resyncs =)

ahh I understand now thanx. So what you're saying is that I should get the biggest fan possible through a fanadaptor for the heatsink. Cause the bigger the fan = less rpm it needs to ventilate correctly...ahhh

just keep in mind you dont necessarily get lower temps with a bigger fan...however it reduces noise considerably

IMO the panaflos are the best value for the money. I would seriously consider the combo I mentioned in my earlier post. You can get it for less than 60 bucks and will be able to handle anything you throw at it. I've got 4 of the Panaflos running in my comp and it's barely louder than my old P3 system with jsut one fan. I would definitly recommend you go this route b/c the bigger heatsink will ensure much lower temps.

the other thing that I would recommend is using Arctic Silver 3 as the thermal interface compound between the CPU and the heatsink. Nothing else is better.

thanx to all for the replies, I oredered myself a Volcano 7+. I still don't have case fans but I'm looking into it, maybe with next paychek

Originally posted by Bootsy
thanx to all for the replies, I oredered myself a Volcano 7+. I still don't have case fans but I'm looking into it, maybe with next paychek

When you're ordering fans I would seriously look at the Panaflos. I found 10 of them for 25 bucks on E-bay and split the cost with my buddy so we each have 5 panaflos in our computers. They are pretty quiet even with 5 running and push a lot of air. You can check out the specs on the fans at www.pcmods.com

yup panaflos are probably the best mix of cfm and db

highly recommend them too...too bad they dont have clear panaflos.....had to replace all my panaflos for case modding:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back