phpBB

L

Luna64

Total noob here :)

I am looking to learn how to create a forum in using phpBB.
I am really just wanting to do this to learn more about how PHP, and such would work on an Apache server. If all goes well I might start up my own forum some day in the future.

I am running the latest build of Apache server, which I mostly use for image and file hosting. I do know some HTML but, I am no master. I am running Windows XP Pro.

So what I am wanting to know is how to get phpBB running on my server. I guess that's asking for a little much, but I don't know what else to do. I would really love to play around with this stuff.

I have phpBB downloaded, but I have no idea on how to get php working in apache much less where to put the phpBB files.

Any help you can provide would be great.

1. Install mySQL. www.mysql.com
2. PHP should work in Apache by default. Just put the files in a folder accessible through the browser.
3. Run the phpBB installation script (I take it it has one...).

There are instructions on how to install phpBB in the phpBB package.

Cool.

I had MySQL installed but I forgot about the installation script.

I am lost.

I have MySQL install. I just downloaded it from a site. Not sure which version.

Anyway, I can't figure out how to install this.

I have placed the entire content of the zip file into the web folder in Apache.

Thats what the faq told me to do anyway :-/

Then it says to go to www.yourdomainname.com/phpBB 2

Well I go to my servers addy/phpbb2 and I am given a list of files and folders (inside the phpbb2 folder)

I am so lost :-(. It says there should be an install prompt and such but if I click on the .php files i am just shown the actual code.

heeelllppp

What you should do is instal it on a hosting package you have ... In order to run the board you need to have PHP and Mysql installed ... If you are running it on a MS computer it is best to install phptriad ...

Then go to phpbb.com and read the instructions - If you are lost now you will be even more lost in the future with all the things you have to do to phpbb to get it to function proparly .. Personally I would suggest Vbulletin but you have to pay for it - Another good free board is Invision board ..

Sounds like Apache isn't set to execute PHP, but it should be...

Btw, the url looks like "http://localhost/whatever_path/phpBB2/" right? And not "file:///C:/Program Files/Apache/www_root/phpBB2/" or something? Right?

you might need to alter the Apache conf file to tell it to look for an index.php file when opening a folder, I think it does it from default to add index.htm and main.htm, and possibly the index.html and main.html

but really installing phpBB isnt going to help you learn php much.

Try here http://www.spoono.com/tutorials/php/

I am not out to learn php, I am just interested in how all this works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back