[PHP] still cannot get to host files on my site

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Been trying to figure out how to use my FTPServer to host files on my site. The site is a PHPBB forums page.

I posted before about this, but maybe I'm dumb, as I cannot figure this one out.

Maybe would someone know of a how-to that exists out there?

I am thinking that maybe I should use a CGI/Perl script instead, that would mean starting at ground zero with learning and reading for me.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

I am my own host.

I am running Apache, MySQL, PHP, phpBB, BulletProof FTP Server.

Thanks,

Heeter

I'm not sure I understand your question, Heeter. Could you elaborate a little about what exactly you're trying to do and what the problem is (any error messages etc.)?

Sorry, I forgot to check.

You should simply be able to pop the file you want to host into the same folder you have your site in, and then just link it.

http://hcctech.ca/filename.zip

But obviously that's not working.

Are you getting any errors?

Yes so far I am getting 533(FTP user/logon) errors when I open a thread that has uploaded files in them, like pics. There is no user name/password for this folder that will store the files.

And I cannot load files bigger than a certain size as an attachment onto a post.

Heeter

I am thinking that maybe an upload file script like "e-Upload" will be for me, but I have to figure out perl for that.

I thought of using my ftp://ftp.hcctech.ca/file as a link fo ra file on the post.

and that anyone can upload thier file to the ftp and create a link as an attachment.

Sorry, if I am not clear.

Hmmmmmm, maybe I am going about this all wrong.

Heeter

Must of been 530 then, it was a userlogon issue. I disabled everything for now until I figure out what I need to do better.

Thanks, GM

Heeter

are all the URLs to the attachments ftp://domain/path/to/file ??

if they are then you probably need to setup an anonymous login for your FTP. But this is insecure and unless you only permit writing to the directory then anyone can come along and delete all the attachments.

If you can see about moving the attachments to a directory within your phpBB installation and change the links accordingly to use the http:// type of URL reference.

Oh Okay, Thanks. Do you mean moving the file first into a directory that the phpBB uses for attachments, then, when creating a new post, browse to that file?

I was thinking that would be the only way is the ftp:// path. In the phpBB installation, there is a filepath for uploads, but I get errors (530) when veiwing a post with attachments.

And I also cannot upload to the Website big files. Tried with a 100meg file, nothing.

Heeter

Grandmaster said:
Sorry, I forgot to check.

You should simply be able to pop the file you want to host into the same folder you have your site in, and then just link it.

http://hcctech.ca/filename.zip

But obviously that's not working.

Are you getting any errors?

Im not sure how apache works but for IIS I had to setup a MIME type for an ISO. Otherwise I'd get a similiar error.

I host many PHPBB setups with no problems.

Heeter said:
Oh Okay, Thanks. Do you mean moving the file first into a directory that the phpBB uses for attachments, then, when creating a new post, browse to that file?

I was thinking that would be the only way is the ftp:// path. In the phpBB installation, there is a filepath for uploads, but I get errors (530) when veiwing a post with attachments.

And I also cannot upload to the Website big files. Tried with a 100meg file, nothing.

Heeter
Yeah something along those lines

the 100mb file are you trying to do that through a web form or an FTP client?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back