Photoshop help please!

B

Bubbabyte

Okay so i'm freaking out here cause i can't figure something out...i recently reformatted and i reinstalled photoshop7...
now i can't save a png with transparency..i've gone through the help files which may i add are totally pathetic...and i can't find anything.
Can someone please help me out here...or msn me .....my info is eazybubba@hotmail.com

thank you

To save a 24-bit PNG file with transparency in Photoshop:
1. Choose File > Save for Web.
2. In the Settings section, choose PNG-24, and select Transparency.
3. Specify other options as desired, and then click OK.
4. Specify a name and location for the image, and then click Save.

cool.gif

This was an old thread, but my question is basically just an extension of it:

I read the above post and it works ok for creating a PNG, but how do you take an existing picture and apply the transparency effect? The photoshop help isn't very good.

Example: I currently have a GIF that has a shadow, but it was made on a white background to go with a white background. Therefore, if it is viewed on a black background, there is a whitish border around the shadow. I realize I have to increase the color count higher than the GIF specification of 256 colors, but where do I go from there? I've tried specifying the transparency color and selecting PNG-24, but I must be doing something wrong because it doesn't work; I still see the whitish border.

BTW: I am using PhotoShop 6.0 if that makes any difference.

Does no one know how to do this? I'm just looking for a rough explanation here, I don't need step-by-step hand-holding directions.

If it's not possible (without tons of pixel-level editing) then hopefully someone can say so. I do OK with graphics proggys, but not an expert.

i think your looking for something called background eraser tool - its in the same box as the eraser

you probably know this but it usually is a faded grey and white square background

It won't work that easily the way you want to do it.

What I would do is get rid of the exising drop shadow (and the white crap goes with it), then simply select your image and create a new drop shadow, then save it as .png-24

Easy.

Hmmph. It is semi easy but doesn't look as good as when I create the image from scratch. I guess it'll do.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

BTW: getting PNGs to display properly in IE6 is a pain in the butt! You have to use the "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage()" filter otherwise the background shows up as a gray square!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back