Photoshop CS2: Add a Border with One Click

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
I have 50+ images (148x192) that need a black border on them.

Normally I change the canvas size by two in each direction (150x194). This works great but with 50+ images I don't want to sit here and go through that process.

Is there anyway to do this automatically with Photoshop CS2? Add the border, save, then close automatically?

Thank you.

record a macro.

Then all you need to do is load the image, run the macro, rinse, repeat.

Exactly, its a great time saver. In case you dont know how to do it, or in case it helps others I am gonna write up a quick tutorial on how to do it.

Update:

Quick and Dirty Actions Tutorial:

Step 1
Fire up Photoshop and load up a single image you wish to add a border too. Depending on your layout, you may need to reset your workspace. (Window>Workspace>Default Workspace) This will reset all palette locations and which palettes are currently visable.

Step 2
Find the Actions Palette Tab and Click on it.
step1aw1.gif

Step 3
Click on the New Set button, a dialoge will pop up asking for a name. I typed in "Custom Actions" But you can use whatever you want. This is just to help organize your actions. Keeping them seperate from the stock Adobe ones.
step2vu3.gif

Step 4
After you create your new set, you want to create the actual action. So click on the New Action button, another dialoge box will pop up.
step3ob3.gif

You can pretty much leave all the settings the way they are, except you will want to give it a name, so you can easily identify it. I chose "Add Border" for a name, since thats what this action will be doing.
step4ro2.gif

After you click record photoshop will then be recording everything you do. So you can either hit the black stop square in the actions palette to catch your breath before you want it to record, or you can continue on.

Step 5
So now we want to add the border to our image while the action recording is ON. There are multiple ways to do this, but I will just demostrate the fastest and most simple method.

Go to Edit>Stroke

A dialog will pop up, from here you can change the size of your border (stroke) and the color. Near the bottom you can choose if you want the border to created centered on the edges (or if you had a selection off that marque) all pixes outside or inside of it. At this point just leave those settings the way they are.

I chose a 10 pixel black border, but you might want to do more or less or a different color, its up to you.

step5wb5.gif

Step 6
Now, all we need to do is save the document and close the document window. Do both of these "actions" while you still have record on. When saving the document be carful not to overwrite the originals.

When you are done just hit the stop button in the actions palette. Then from here you can just load up all 50 of your images into photoshop and just hit the "Play" button for your action you just created and it will add the border, save and then close it. So just do that for all 50 images, there is a batch function for stuff like this but thats outside the scope of this tutorial.

Last edited:
I will try this out later today. Thank you.

Sorry to hijack - but I have an issue.

Whenever I attempt to make a border by CTRL+A, Select > Border = 10px then Fill selection with a solid color, it fades the color instead of an abrupt line.

I have feathering on the lowest amt of pixels - which is 0.2 i think - and no matter what I can't get it to not FADE. I feel like a PS idiot because it used to work and now with newer versions it does not work at all.

:(

What's the "Opacity" for the fill set at?

It sounds like a feather problem. You say its set to .2, however the it should be on 0. Whats your Fill and Opacity set to as gonaads mentioned?

I have 50+ images (148x192) that need a black border on them.

Normally I change the canvas size by two in each direction (150x194). This works great but with 50+ images I don't want to sit here and go through that process.

Is there anyway to do this automatically with Photoshop CS2? Add the border, save, then close automatically?

Thank you.

There is also a feature in photoshop that is called batch (or batching... something like that, dont have PS at work.. sigh...). it is found under file>automate>batch. Anyways, it will go through a specified folder and run actions on each file contained in the folder (ie. adding borders and resize)

hope that helps.

Just search for Phtoshop + Batch and there will be a bunch of tutorials there

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back