phone as modem

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
so, I can get any of you with smart phones to be able to use it as a modem, then it depends on your carrier what bandwidth you're gonna get

here is what I am getting now from sprint, this is stunning, I remember last year I would have been happy with these speeds from my dsl;

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1209 kbps (151.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 480 kbps (60 KB/sec transfer rate)

how hard is that to beleive?

I get these download speeds on my laptop where ever I get a phone signal, no need for a hotspot, no need to wait till I get home to do download

now of course, I have fios and that speed is 10 meg but this is really amazing performance from a cell phone

That's rather kick ass.

Do you have to pay extra?

Yes that is awesome, I have been doing that for a while now. I even hacked my chocolate to use it as a modem a while back. :)

Just have a data plan and use this app. No additional costs. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is awesome, I have been doing that for a while now. I even hacked my chocolate to use it as a modem a while back. :)

Just have a data plan and use this app. No additional costs. :)
bingo, but I would rather not let that get around too much, right now the phone companies can't tell if you're using the phone as a modem, if this becomes too pervasive they will find a way to track the data

gonna remove the link and anyone that wants it can pm me or oh my god it's nim

Hubs has been using his HTC Touch for PAM and is very pleased with it. He was recently able to work from his mother's hospital room; kept her company and didn't lose a minute of work time at the office! Some nights when our cable internet is slow at the house he'll pull out his phone...

PAM is a WONDERFUL invention!

Oh yes, and we were able to cancel our Sprint AirCard once he got the HTC Touch!! This is saving us $70/month!

It is rather cool indeed. My SE XPERIA X1 supports 7.2 Mbps HSDPA (download) and 2 Mbps HSUPA (upload), so that's really fast!

Most of the packages I am finding for tethering are only allowing a certain amount of bandwidth a month to be used. What is sprint allowing, Perris?

Most of the packages I am finding for tethering are only allowing a certain amount of bandwidth a month to be used. What is sprint allowing, Perris?
when you buy their unlimited plans you can use as much bandwidth as you want

I used to use my Nokia 6210 as a modem back in 2000 (or thereabouts) and link it via infrared to my Windows CE pda. Was only able to surf the net at 16kbps though... haha

when you buy their unlimited plans you can use as much bandwidth as you want

Really? that is cool. I'll have to look into that.

[edit] I just looked at sprint and they are capped at 5 gig - this is a $59.00 a month extra - anything over that is .05 per meg. - With the unlimited plan you can surf unlimited on the phone browser, but not if the phone is hooked up to the laptop ? [edit]

Really? that is cool. I'll have to look into that.

[edit] I just looked at sprint and they are capped at 5 gig - this is a $59.00 a month extra - anything over that is .05 per meg. - With the unlimited plan you can surf unlimited on the phone browser, but not if the phone is hooked up to the laptop ? [edit]
see "pda.net" in teh google but to be fair if you are downloading more then 5 gigs they are probably gonna get wise.

I have been grandfathtered into some old plans and I have no worries but I see from your post sprint is not as liberal as they used to be

by the way, this is an old thread and I am now getting at times 2500 kps from the sprint network

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back