Petition: Proper PNG Support in Internet Explorer for Windows

here's the full article;

to abandon standalone IE
Last modified: May 31, 2003, 11:50 PM PDT
By Evan Hansen
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Microsoft is phasing out standalone versions of its Internet Explorer Web browser, according to statements attributed to IE program manager Brian Countryman in an interview posted on the software giant's Web site.

"As part of the OS (operating system), IE will continue to evolve, but there will be no future standalone installations. IE6 SP1 is the final standalone installation," Countryman said in the the May 7 interview.

Microsoft issued a standalone browser with IE 6, following a court ruling that found the company had violated antitrust laws by bundling IE with its Windows operating system. The company has since settled the case with the Justice Department and most of the other parties to the suit, although a handful of holdouts continue to press for additional remedies.

In the May 7 interview, Countryman dismissed suggestions that the decision to drop a standalone browser was related to antitrust issues, hinting that planned new security enhancements for the upcoming version of its Windows operating system, code named Longhorn, was the driving force behind the move.

Longhorn is expected to include a major security overhaul dubbed Next-Generation Secure Computing Base, formerly known as Palladium.

Critics fear the technology will result in consumers losing control of their PCs and data and that Microsoft could use the technology to lock up market share. Others argue that the software and hardware could help lock down corporate data.

"Legacy OSes have reached their zenith with the addition of IE 6 SP1," Countryman said. "Further improvements to IE will require enhancements to the underlying OS."

Signed, but i have stopped supporting them a long time ago.

Check out http://personal.x-istence.com/

A graphic that looks perfect in so many ways in firefox, opera, and other browsers except IE on windows.

IE on the mac is working fine, as it used the opensource PNG implementation instead of the one they made for their own. Thus it works fine.

s i g n e d

when I first started looking into web design, I built a basic site that was relatively png heavy... loaded up in two different browsers on three different computers... and for some reason, the pngs weren't transparent, but interestingly only in ie... "oh no! it must be a crappy coding job by me, let me try and fix it! wait - scratch that."

this seemingly little "quirk" has pain in my ass from the start, lets hope this petition finds its way to microsoft, and they treat it as a bug fix (because that is what it is...) Thanks for pointing me towards it :)

Who cares, don't use IE, thats the easiest fix.

j79, they don't use ie...they want their sites to look correct for people that do use ie....and yes, maybe nobody should use ie, but this doesn't change the fact that people will visit their sites with ie...and they want their sites to look the way they designed them

ms won'r fix it, and I really beleive they are not allowed to do anything but fix security issues.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back